Definitions for Surprisesərˈpraɪz, sə-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Surprise
the astonishment you feel when something totally unexpected happens to you
a sudden unexpected event
the act of surprising someone
cause to be surprised
"The news really surprised me"
come upon or take unawares
"She surprised the couple"; "He surprised an interesting scene"
attack by storm; attack suddenly
Something not expected.
It was a surprise to find out I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
The surprise attack was devastating.
The feeling that something unexpected has happened.
Imagine my surprise on learning I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
To cause (someone) to feel unusually alarmed or delighted.
It surprises me that I owe twice as much as I thought I did.
To do something to (a person) that they are not expecting, as a surprise.
He doesn't know that I'm in the country - I thought I'd turn up at his house and surprise him.
To undergo or witness something unexpected.
He doesn't surprise easily.
To cause surprise.
To attack unexpectedly.
To take unawares.
the act of coming upon, or taking, unawares; the act of seizing unexpectedly; surprisal; as, the fort was taken by surprise
the state of being surprised, or taken unawares, by some act or event which could not reasonably be foreseen; emotion excited by what is sudden and strange; a suddenly excited feeling of wonder or astonishment
anything that causes such a state or emotion
a dish covered with a crust of raised paste, but with no other contents
to come or fall suddenly and unexpectedly; to take unawares; to seize or capture by unexpected attack
to strike with wonder, astonishment, or confusion, by something sudden, unexpected, or remarkable; to confound; as, his conduct surprised me
to lead (one) to do suddenly and without forethought; to bring (one) into some unexpected state; -- with into; as, to be surprised into an indiscretion; to be surprised into generosity
to hold possession of; to hold
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2153
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3235
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Nouns Frequency: #903
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Verbs Frequency: #894
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of Surprise
Translations for Surprise
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دهشة, فاجأ, دَهْشة, باغت, مُفاجَأَة, دهشArabic
- sorpresa, sorprendreCatalan, Valencian
- překvapení, překvapitCzech
- overraskelse, overraskeDanish
- Überraschung, überraschenGerman
- έκπληξη, αιφνιδιάζω, ξάφνιασμα, εκπλήσσω, [[κάνω]] [[έκπληξη]], ξαφνικός, ξαφνιάζω, αιφνίδιοςGreek
- surprizo, surpriziEsperanto
- sorpresa, sorprenderSpanish
- تعجب ساختن, تعجب, سورپریزPersian
- yllättää, yllätys, hämmästys, hämmästyttääFinnish
- surprendre, étonner, surpriseFrench
- iongnadhScottish Gaelic
- sorpresa, sorprenderGalician
- meglepetés, meglep, váratlan, meglepetésszerű, ámulat, megdöbbenésHungarian
- անակնկալ, անակնկալի բերել, զարմանք, զարմացնելArmenian
- sorprendere, meravigliare, sorpresa, stupireItalian
- 驚き, 驚かすJapanese
- 놀라게 하다Korean
- IwwerraschungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ninihi, komutuMāori
- kejutan, mengejutMalay
- verrassing, verrassen, verbazing, verbazenDutch
- overraskingNorwegian Nynorsk
- overraskning, overraskelse, overraske, overraskelses-Norwegian
- zaskakiwać, niespodzianka, dziwićPolish
- surpreender, surpresaPortuguese
- surpriză, surprinde, surprindereRomanian
- неожиданность, сюрприз, удивлять, удивить, удивлениеRussian
- presenečenje, presenetitiSlovene
- förvåning, överraskning, överraskaSwedish
- sürpriz yapmak, şaşırtmak, sürprizTurkish
- ewaermint, sbarmintWalloon
Get even more translations for Surprise »
Find a translation for the Surprise definition in other languages:
Select another language: