the astonishment you feel when something totally unexpected happens to you
a sudden unexpected event
the act of surprising someone
cause to be surprised
"The news really surprised me"
come upon or take unawares
"She surprised the couple"; "He surprised an interesting scene"
attack by storm; attack suddenly
Something not expected.
It was a surprise to find out I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
The surprise attack was devastating.
The feeling that something unexpected has happened.
Imagine my surprise on learning I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
To cause (someone) to feel unusually alarmed or delighted.
It surprises me that I owe twice as much as I thought I did.
To do something to (a person) that they are not expecting, as a surprise.
He doesn't know that I'm in the country - I thought I'd turn up at his house and surprise him.
To undergo or witness something unexpected.
He doesn't surprise easily.
To cause surprise.
To attack unexpectedly.
To take unawares.
the act of coming upon, or taking, unawares; the act of seizing unexpectedly; surprisal; as, the fort was taken by surprise
the state of being surprised, or taken unawares, by some act or event which could not reasonably be foreseen; emotion excited by what is sudden and strange; a suddenly excited feeling of wonder or astonishment
anything that causes such a state or emotion
a dish covered with a crust of raised paste, but with no other contents
to come or fall suddenly and unexpectedly; to take unawares; to seize or capture by unexpected attack
to strike with wonder, astonishment, or confusion, by something sudden, unexpected, or remarkable; to confound; as, his conduct surprised me
to lead (one) to do suddenly and without forethought; to bring (one) into some unexpected state; -- with into; as, to be surprised into an indiscretion; to be surprised into generosity
to hold possession of; to hold
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
sur-prīz′, n. act of taking unawares: the emotion caused by anything sudden: amazement.—v.t. to come upon suddenly or unawares: to lead or bring unawares, to betray (with into): to strike with wonder or astonishment: to confuse.—n. Surprīs′al, act of surprising.—adv. Surprīs′edly.—adj. Surprīs′ing, exciting surprise: wonderful: unexpected.—adv. Surprīs′ingly.—n. Surprīs′ingness. [Fr.,—surpris, pa.p. of surprendre—L. super, over, prehendĕre, to catch.]
To bring, give or receive something joyful or something that you enjoy or need.
My sister loves our family so as a surprise we arranged a trip to see her as we hadn't visited her home in a long time and she has always come to visit her so we thought it was time to pay her a visit.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2153
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3235
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Nouns Frequency: #903
Rank popularity for the word 'Surprise' in Verbs Frequency: #894
The numerical value of Surprise in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of Surprise in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Wonder is from surprise, and surprise stops with experience.
There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved it is God's finger on man's shoulder.
The risk for a negative surprise in August seems to be much larger than the risk for a positive surprise.
The principle of least surprise is not for you only. The principle of least surprise means principle of least my surprise.
Value can be finely balanced between markets. It's no surprise with the volume of natural US dollar funders that the basis swap has become more expensive; the greater surprise is that the shift has not been more dramatic.
Images & Illustrations of Surprise
Translations for Surprise
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دهشة, فاجأ, دَهْشة, باغت, مُفاجَأَة, دهشArabic
- sorpresa, sorprendreCatalan, Valencian
- překvapení, překvapitCzech
- overraskelse, overraskeDanish
- Überraschung, überraschenGerman
- έκπληξη, αιφνιδιάζω, ξάφνιασμα, εκπλήσσω, [[κάνω]] [[έκπληξη]], ξαφνικός, ξαφνιάζω, αιφνίδιοςGreek
- surprizo, surpriziEsperanto
- sorpresa, sorprenderSpanish
- تعجب ساختن, تعجب, سورپریزPersian
- yllättää, yllätys, hämmästys, hämmästyttääFinnish
- surprendre, étonner, surpriseFrench
- iongnadhScottish Gaelic
- sorpresa, sorprenderGalician
- meglepetés, meglep, váratlan, meglepetésszerű, ámulat, megdöbbenésHungarian
- անակնկալ, անակնկալի բերել, զարմանք, զարմացնելArmenian
- sorprendere, meravigliare, sorpresa, stupireItalian
- 驚き, 驚かすJapanese
- 놀라게 하다, 놀람Korean
- IwwerraschungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ninihi, komutuMāori
- kejutan, mengejutMalay
- verrassing, verrassen, verbazing, verbazenDutch
- overraskingNorwegian Nynorsk
- overraskning, overraskelse, overraske, overraskelses-Norwegian
- zaskakiwać, niespodzianka, dziwićPolish
- surpreender, surpresaPortuguese
- surpriză, surprinde, surprindereRomanian
- неожиданность, сюрприз, удивлять, удивить, удивлениеRussian
- presenečenje, presenetitiSlovene
- förvåning, överraskning, överraskaSwedish
- sürpriz yapmak, şaşırtmak, sürprizTurkish
- ewaermint, sbarmintWalloon
Get even more translations for Surprise »
Find a translation for the Surprise definition in other languages:
Select another language: