Definitions for Specialistˈspɛʃ ə lɪst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Specialist
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
spe•cial•istˈspɛʃ ə lɪst(n.)
a person devoted to one subject or to one particular branch of a subject or pursuit.
a medical practitioner who deals only with a particular class of diseases, conditions, patients, etc.
an enlisted person in the U.S. Army holding a rank equivalent to that of corporal through sergeant first class but not requiring exercise of command.
Origin of specialist:
specialist, specializer, specialiser(noun)
an expert who is devoted to one occupation or branch of learning
specialist, medical specialist(noun)
practices one branch of medicine
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
specialist(noun)ˈspɛʃ ə lɪst
sb who is an expert on a particular subject
a specialist in sports medicine; an education specialist
Someone who is an expert in, or devoted to, some specific branch of study or research.
A physician whose practice is limited to a particular branch of medicine or surgery.
Any of several non-commissioned ranks corresponding to that of corporal.
one who devotes himself to some specialty; as, a medical specialist, one who devotes himself to diseases of particular parts of the body, as the eye, the ear, the nerves, etc
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. One who limits himself to his chosen mode of ignorance, and gets further into a bog than the man ahead of him. 2. A kind of hypnotic trance wherein a person by centering his gaze on a given object renders the object smaller in proportion as his illusion grows.
Translations for Specialist
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a person who makes a very deep study of one branch of a subject or field
Dr Brown is a heart specialist.
- إخْتِصاصي، مُخْتَصArabic
- especialistaPortuguese (BR)
- der/die Spezialist(in)German
- specijalist, sručnjakCroatian
- پوه، متخصصPashto
- špecialista, odborníkSlovak
- uzman, mütehassısTurkish
- 專家Chinese (Trad.)
- спеціаліст, фахівецьUkrainian
- chuyên gia, chuyên khoaVietnamese
- 专家Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Specialist »
Find a translation for the Specialist definition in other languages:
Select another language: