Definitions for SKATEskeɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word SKATE
sports equipment that is worn on the feet to enable the wearer to glide along and to be propelled by the alternate actions of the legs
large edible rays having a long snout and thick tail with pectoral fins continuous with the head; swim by undulating the edges of the pectoral fins
move along on skates
"The Dutch often skate along the canals in winter"
a metallic runner with a frame shaped to fit the sole of a shoe, -- made to be fastened under the foot, and used for moving rapidly on ice
to move on skates
any one of numerous species of large, flat elasmobranch fishes of the genus Raia, having a long, slender tail, terminated by a small caudal fin. The pectoral fins, which are large and broad and united to the sides of the body and head, give a somewhat rhombic form to these fishes. The skin is more or less spinose
Origin: [Icel. skata; cf. Prov. G. schatten, meer-schatten, L. squatus, squatina, and E. shad.]
Skates are cartilaginous fish belonging to the family Rajidae in the superorder Batoidea of rays. More than 200 species have been described, in 27 genera. The two subfamilies are Rajinae and Arhynchobatinae.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.
It’s what makes people get hooked on skate skiing, it’s the feeling I look for in every project I decide to do.
It didn’t hurt at all. It hurts less than falling on the ice when [you’re] learning to skate for the first time.
Avoiding injury is the most important thing, i want her to skate every single day giving her best, in a confident manner.
Happy During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records most time spent in the penalty box and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody.
Images & Illustrations of SKATE
Translations for SKATE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- patí, patinarCatalan, Valencian
- brusle, rejnok, bruslit, brusleníCzech
- ysglefrio, sglefrioWelsh
- Schlittschuh, Skateboarden, Schlittschuh laufen, Eislauf, Rollschuh, Skateboardfahren, Schlittschuhlaufen, EislaufenGerman
- patín, patinar, patinajeSpanish
- كفش اسكيت, سفره ماهي, كفش اسكيت رولر-كفش اسكيت يخ, اسكيت بورد سواري, اسكيت بازي-اسكيت روي يخ, اسكيت كردن -اسكيت, اسکیت بازی کردنPersian
- luistin, skeitata, rausku, skeittaus, luistelu, luistellaFinnish
- patinage, patiner, glisser, patinFrench
- reedridenWestern Frisian
- sepatu luncurIndonesian
- スケート, [[スケート]]を[[する]]Japanese
- 스케이트, [[스케이트]]를 [[타다]], 홍어Korean
- тэшүүрээр гулгах, тэшүүрMongolian
- skeise, skøyteNorwegian Nynorsk
- łóóʼ adishishíNavajo, Navaho
- skate, arraia, patinar, patim, raia, patinadaPortuguese
- конёк, скат, [[ката́ние]] на [[коньки, [[ката́ться]] на [[скейтборд, коньки́, [[ката́ние]] на [[скейтборд, [[ката́ться]] на [[конькиRussian
- kaykay yapmakTurkish
- ковза́н, ли́жваUkrainian
- sket, luibilasket, sketam, luibilasketam, luibilasketön, gladajukön, gladajuk, sketön, gladajukamVolapük
Get even more translations for SKATE »
Find a translation for the SKATE definition in other languages:
Select another language: