Definitions for SEXsɛks
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word SEX
sexual activity, sexual practice, sex, sex activity(noun)
activities associated with sexual intercourse
"they had sex in the back seat"
either of the two categories (male or female) into which most organisms are divided
"the war between the sexes"
sex, sexual urge(noun)
all of the feelings resulting from the urge to gratify sexual impulses
"he wanted a better sex life"; "the film contained no sex or violence"
sex, gender, sexuality(verb)
the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
"she didn't want to know the sex of the foetus"
arouse, sex, excite, turn on, wind up(verb)
"This movie usually arouses the male audience"
tell the sex (of young chickens)
Either of two main divisions (either female or male) into which many organisms can be placed, according to reproductive function or organs.
The distinguishing property, quality, or assemblage of properties by which organisms are classified as female or male on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions; the set of properties by which male is distinguished from female.
Sexual intercourse; the act of sexual intercourse.
Genitalia; a penis or vagina.
To determine the biological sex of an animal.
It is not easy to sex lizards.
To have sex with.
Origin: 1382, from sexe, from sexus. Thought to be connected with seco, secare by the concept of division, or 'half' of the race. Akin to section. Meaning "sexual intercourse" first attested 1929 (in writings of D.H. Lawrence).
the distinguishing peculiarity of male or female in both animals and plants; the physical difference between male and female; the assemblage of properties or qualities by which male is distinguished from female
one of the two divisions of organic beings formed on the distinction of male and female
the capability in plants of fertilizing or of being fertilized; as, staminate and pistillate flowers are of opposite sexes
one of the groups founded on this distinction
Origin: [L. sexus: cf. F. sexe.]
Sex is a coffee table book written by Madonna, with photographs taken by Steven Meisel Studio and film frames shot by Fabien Baron. The book was edited by Glenn O'Brien and was released on October 21, 1992, by Warner Books, Maverick and Callaway Books. Approached with an idea for a book on erotic photographs, Madonna expanded on the idea and conceived the book and its content. Shot in early 1992 in New York City and Miami, the locations ranged from hotels and burlesque theaters, to the streets of Miami. The photographs were even stolen before publishing, but were quickly recovered. The book had a range of influences – from punk rock to earlier fashion iconoclasts like Guy Bourdin and his surrealism, and Helmut Newton, in its stylized, sado-masochistic look. Sex has photographs that feature adult content and softcore pornographic as well as simulations of sexual acts, including sadomasochism and analingus. Madonna wrote the book as a character named "Mistress Dita", inspired by 1930s film actress Dita Parlo. It also includes cameos by actress Isabella Rossellini, rappers Big Daddy Kane and Vanilla Ice, model Naomi Campbell, gay porn star Joey Stefano, actor Udo Kier, socialite Tatiana von Fürstenberg, and nightclub owner Ingrid Casares.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
[Sun Users' Group & elsewhere] n. 1. Software EXchange. A technique invented by the blue-green algae hundreds of millions of years ago to speed up their evolution, which had been terribly slow up until then. Today, SEX parties are popular among hackers and others (of course, these are no longer limited to exchanges of genetic software). In general, SEX parties are a Good Thing, but unprotected SEX can propagate a virus. See also pubic directory. 2. The rather Freudian mnemonic often used for Sign EXtend, a machine instruction found in the PDP-11 and many other architectures. The RCA 1802 chip used in the early Elf and SuperElf personal computers had a ‘SEt X register’ SEX instruction, but this seems to have had little folkloric impact. The Data General instruction set also had SEX.DEC's engineers nearly got a PDP-11 assembler that used the SEX mnemonic out the door at one time, but (for once) marketing wasn't asleep and forced a change. That wasn't the last time this happened, either. The author of The Intel 8086 Primer, who was one of the original designers of the 8086, noted that there was originally a SEX instruction on that processor, too. He says that Intel management got cold feet and decreed that it be changed, and thus the instruction was renamed CBW and CWD (depending on what was being extended). Amusingly, the Intel 8048 (the microcontroller used in IBM PC keyboards) is also missing straight SEX but has logical-or and logical-and instructions ORL and ANL.The Motorola 6809, used in the Radio Shack Color Computer and in U.K.'s ‘Dragon 32’ personal computer, actually had an official SEX instruction; the 6502 in the Apple II with which it competed did not. British hackers thought this made perfect mythic sense; after all, it was commonly observed, you could (on some theoretical level) have sex with a dragon, but you can't have sex with an apple.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The totality of characteristics of reproductive structure, functions, PHENOTYPE, and GENOTYPE, differentiating the MALE from the FEMALE organism.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SEX' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1245
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SEX' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1406
Rank popularity for the word 'SEX' in Nouns Frequency: #516
Translations for SEX
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- سيكس, مجامعة, جماع, جنس, تسافدArabic
- cins, seksAzerbaijani
- плоць, сэкс, пол, секс, палавы́я зно́сіныBelarusian
- съвокупле́ние, полово́ сноше́ние, секс, полBulgarian
- লিঙ্গ, সেক্সBengali
- sexe, sexarCatalan, Valencian
- sex, pohlavní styk, pohlaví, styk, souložCzech
- samleje, sex, seksuel omgang, kneppe, erotik, kønsliv, bolle, kønsbestemme, seksualliv, kønDanish
- Sex, Geschlecht, Geschlechtsverkehr, Sex haben, sexenGerman
- σεξ, έρωτας, συνουσιάζομαι, φύλο, συνουσίαGreek
- relación, sexo, género, sexar, sexualSpanish
- همخوابگی, جنسیت, سکس, جنسPersian
- rakastella, yhdyntä, seksi, sukupuoliFinnish
- rapport sexuel, sexe, sexer, culFrench
- gnèScottish Gaelic
- સેક્સ, મૈથુનGujarati
- מין, מגדר, יחסי מין, קיים יחסים, זיין, סקסHebrew
- लिंग, सेक्स, मैथुनHindi
- közösülés, szex, nemHungarian
- սեռ, սեռական հարաբերություն, սեքսArmenian
- jenis kelamin, jenisIndonesian
- fare sesso, sessoItalian
- セックスする, 性別, セックス, 性交Japanese
- სქესი, სექსიGeorgian
- жыныс, сексKazakh
- ជាតិលិង្គ, ការរួមភេទ, លិង្គKhmer
- 성행위, 성, 성교, 성별, 섹스, 성관계Korean
- zayend, guhnelî, gan, perîn, cinsiyet, têkiliyên zayendî, cins, seks, cotbûnKurdish
- секс, жынысKyrgyz
- ລິງ, ເພດLao
- lytis, seksas, mylėtisLithuanian
- sekss, dzimumsLatvian
- сексуа́лен однос, полов однос, пол, сексMacedonian
- ലിംഗം, മൈഥുനം, സംഭോഗം, ലൈംഗികബന്ധംMalayalam
- samleie, sexNorwegian
- geslachtsgemeenschap, vrijen, sekse, seks, geslachtDutch
- samlege, sex, samleieNorwegian Nynorsk
- kjønn, sexNorwegian
- seks, seksować, płećPolish
- sexo, transaPortuguese
- relații sexuale, sexRomanian
- совокупле́ние, полово́й акт, полово́е сноше́ние, пол, сексRussian
- сексуални однос, spolni odnos, спол, пол, сполни однос, pol, spol, секс, seksualni odnos, seksSerbo-Croatian
- sex, súlož, pohlavný styk, pohlavieSlovak
- spolni odnos, séks, spolSlovene
- kön, samlag, knulla, sex, könsbestämmaSwedish
- பாலுறவு, உடலுறவTamil
- రతి, మైధునము, లింగము, సంభోగముTelugu
- ҷинсият, ҷинс, шаҳват, сексTajik
- ลิงค์, เพศ, เซ็กส์Thai
- pol, jyns, seksTurkmen
- pagtalik, kasarian, kantotTagalog
- cins, cinsiyet, seks, cinsel ilişkiTurkish
- секс, стате́ві зно́сини, лю́бощі, статьUkrainian
- جنس, سیکسUrdu
- jins, seks, shahvoniy, jinsiy aloqaUzbek
- giao cấu, giới tínhVietnamese
Get even more translations for SEX »
Find a translation for the SEX definition in other languages:
Select another language: