Definitions for Receptionrɪˈsɛp ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Reception
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the act of receiving or the state of being received.
a manner of being received:
The book met with a favorable reception.
a function or occasion when persons are formally received.
the quality or fidelity attained in receiving radio or television broadcasts under given circumstances.
Category: Radio and Television
Origin of reception:
1350–1400; ME recepcion < L receptiō <recipere to receive
the manner in which something is greeted
"she did not expect the cold reception she received from her superiors"
a formal party of people; as after a wedding
quality or fidelity of a received broadcast
the act of receiving
(American football) the act of catching a pass in football
"the tight end made a great reception on the 20 yard line"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a formal party organized to celebrate an event
a wedding reception; at the reception for the visiting leaders
the way sb or sth is treated
The president was given a hostile reception in both countries.
the quality of the pictures or sound on a TV or radio
The reception is terrible.
the area of an office or public building where people are greeted, shown where to go, etc.
Your bags are waiting for you in reception.
The act of receiving.
The act or ability to receive radio or similar signals.
A social engagement, usually to formally welcome someone.
After the wedding we proceeded to the reception.
The ambassador's jokes met a cold reception.
The desk of a hotel or office where guests are received.
The school year, or part thereof, between preschool and Year 1, when children are introduced to formal education.
Origin: From receptio, from recipio, from re- + capio.
the act of receiving; receipt; admission; as, the reception of food into the stomach; the reception of a letter; the reception of sensation or ideas; reception of evidence
the state of being received
the act or manner of receiving, esp. of receiving visitors; entertainment; hence, an occasion or ceremony of receiving guests; as, a hearty reception; an elaborate reception
acceptance, as of an opinion or doctrine
a retaking; a recovery
In American football, a reception is part of a play in which a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is received by a player in bounds, who, after the catch, proceeds to either score a touchdown or be downed. Yards gained from the receiving play are credited to the player as receiving yards. If such a pass is not caught by the receiver, it is called an incomplete pass or simply an incompletion.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. All ground arrangements connected with the delivery and disposition of air or sea drops. Includes selection and preparation of site, signals for warning and approach, facilitation of secure departure of agents, speedy collection of delivered articles, and their prompt removal to storage places having maximum security. When a group is involved, it may be called a reception committee. 2. Arrangements to welcome and provide secure quarters or transportation for defectors, escapees, evaders, or incoming agents. 3. The process of receiving, offloading, marshalling, and transporting of personnel, equipment, and materiel from the strategic and/or intratheater deployment phase to a sea, air, or surface transportation point of debarkation to the marshalling area.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3898
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4353
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Nouns Frequency: #1548
Translations for Reception
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
the act of receiving or being received
His speech got a good reception.
- recepçãoPortuguese (BR)
- die AufnahmeGerman
- recepción, acogidaSpanish
- réception, accueilFrench
- prijam, primanjeCroatian
- viðtaka, móttakaIcelandic
- 평판, 반응Korean
- priėmimas, sutikimasLithuanian
- mottakelse, velkomstNorwegian
- ميلمه پالنه، پذيرايى، استقبال، ميلمستيا، مننه، موندنه،رسيدنهPashto
- （受到）歡迎Chinese (Trad.)
- sự đón nhậnVietnamese
- 欢迎，接待Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for Reception »
Find a translation for the Reception definition in other languages:
Select another language: