the manner in which something is greeted
"she did not expect the cold reception she received from her superiors"
a formal party of people; as after a wedding
quality or fidelity of a received broadcast
the act of receiving
(American football) the act of catching a pass in football
"the tight end made a great reception on the 20 yard line"
The act of receiving.
The act or ability to receive radio or similar signals.
A social engagement, usually to formally welcome someone.
After the wedding we proceeded to the reception.
The ambassador's jokes met a cold reception.
The desk of a hotel or office where guests are received.
The school year, or part thereof, between preschool and Year 1, when children are introduced to formal education.
Origin: From receptio, from recipio, from re- + capio.
the act of receiving; receipt; admission; as, the reception of food into the stomach; the reception of a letter; the reception of sensation or ideas; reception of evidence
the state of being received
the act or manner of receiving, esp. of receiving visitors; entertainment; hence, an occasion or ceremony of receiving guests; as, a hearty reception; an elaborate reception
acceptance, as of an opinion or doctrine
a retaking; a recovery
Origin: [F. rception, L. receptio, fr. recipere, receptum. See Receive.]
In American football, a reception is part of a play in which a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is received by a player in bounds, who, after the catch, proceeds to either score a touchdown or be downed. Yards gained from the receiving play are credited to the player as receiving yards. If such a pass is not caught by the receiver, it is called an incomplete pass or simply an incompletion.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. All ground arrangements connected with the delivery and disposition of air or sea drops. Includes selection and preparation of site, signals for warning and approach, facilitation of secure departure of agents, speedy collection of delivered articles, and their prompt removal to storage places having maximum security. When a group is involved, it may be called a reception committee. 2. Arrangements to welcome and provide secure quarters or transportation for defectors, escapees, evaders, or incoming agents. 3. The process of receiving, offloading, marshalling, and transporting of personnel, equipment, and materiel from the strategic and/or intratheater deployment phase to a sea, air, or surface transportation point of debarkation to the marshalling area.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3898
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4353
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Nouns Frequency: #1548
The numerical value of Reception in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of Reception in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I do, some guests are telling us the bride and groom didn't speak to each other at the reception.
We are very much what others think of us. The reception our observations meet with gives us courage to proceed, or damps our efforts.
An act of love that fails is just as much a part of the divine life as an act of love that succeeds, for love is measured by fullness, not by reception.
Aesthetic emotion puts man in a state favorable to the reception of erotic emotion. Art is the accomplice of love. Take love away and there is no longer art.
We were actually planning a big wedding reception and honeymoon, we realized that our way of celebrating our love would be different, and we came up with 50 Acts of Giving Back.
Images & Illustrations of Reception
Translations for Reception
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- příjem, recepce, obdržení, přijetíCzech
- Rezeption, EmpfangGerman
- recibimiento, recepción, coberturaSpanish
- accueil, réceptionFrench
- recepción, coberturaGalician
- fogadás, fogadtatás, átvétel, vétel, recepcióHungarian
- ricezione, reception, ricevimento, accoglienzaItalian
- 受理, 加入, 反応, 受付, 入会, 感度, 接待, 理解, フロント, 受け, 受信, 宴会, 収容, レセプション, 待遇, 評判Japanese
- ontvangst, receptieDutch
- resepsjonNorwegian Nynorsk
- mottakelse, mottakNorwegian
- odbiór, recepcja, zasięg, przyjęciePolish
- приём, регистратура, стойка администратора, банкет, ресепшн, приёмнаяRussian
- doček, prijem, recepcijaSerbo-Croatian
- mottagande, mottagning, reception, vaktSwedish
Get even more translations for Reception »
Find a translation for the Reception definition in other languages:
Select another language: