Definitions for Receptionrɪˈsɛp ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Reception
the manner in which something is greeted
"she did not expect the cold reception she received from her superiors"
a formal party of people; as after a wedding
quality or fidelity of a received broadcast
the act of receiving
(American football) the act of catching a pass in football
"the tight end made a great reception on the 20 yard line"
The act of receiving.
The act or ability to receive radio or similar signals.
A social engagement, usually to formally welcome someone.
After the wedding we proceeded to the reception.
The ambassador's jokes met a cold reception.
The desk of a hotel or office where guests are received.
The school year, or part thereof, between preschool and Year 1, when children are introduced to formal education.
Origin: From receptio, from recipio, from re- + capio.
the act of receiving; receipt; admission; as, the reception of food into the stomach; the reception of a letter; the reception of sensation or ideas; reception of evidence
the state of being received
the act or manner of receiving, esp. of receiving visitors; entertainment; hence, an occasion or ceremony of receiving guests; as, a hearty reception; an elaborate reception
acceptance, as of an opinion or doctrine
a retaking; a recovery
Origin: [F. rception, L. receptio, fr. recipere, receptum. See Receive.]
In American football, a reception is part of a play in which a forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage is received by a player in bounds, who, after the catch, proceeds to either score a touchdown or be downed. Yards gained from the receiving play are credited to the player as receiving yards. If such a pass is not caught by the receiver, it is called an incomplete pass or simply an incompletion.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. All ground arrangements connected with the delivery and disposition of air or sea drops. Includes selection and preparation of site, signals for warning and approach, facilitation of secure departure of agents, speedy collection of delivered articles, and their prompt removal to storage places having maximum security. When a group is involved, it may be called a reception committee. 2. Arrangements to welcome and provide secure quarters or transportation for defectors, escapees, evaders, or incoming agents. 3. The process of receiving, offloading, marshalling, and transporting of personnel, equipment, and materiel from the strategic and/or intratheater deployment phase to a sea, air, or surface transportation point of debarkation to the marshalling area.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3898
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4353
Rank popularity for the word 'Reception' in Nouns Frequency: #1548
The numerical value of Reception in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of Reception in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We've gotten an amazing reception, has this been crazy? Man!
Our deal had a great reception from investors in this environment.
That's a little bit different from the reception I get in Washington.
We will attempt to create reception facilities for 30,000 people over the next 20 days.
I do, some guests are telling us the bride and groom didn't speak to each other at the reception.
Images & Illustrations of Reception
Translations for Reception
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- příjem, recepce, obdržení, přijetíCzech
- Rezeption, EmpfangGerman
- recibimiento, recepción, coberturaSpanish
- accueil, réceptionFrench
- recepción, coberturaGalician
- fogadás, fogadtatás, átvétel, vétel, recepcióHungarian
- ricezione, reception, ricevimento, accoglienzaItalian
- 受理, 加入, 反応, 受付, 入会, 感度, 接待, 理解, フロント, 受け, 受信, 宴会, 収容, レセプション, 待遇, 評判Japanese
- ontvangst, receptieDutch
- resepsjonNorwegian Nynorsk
- mottakelse, mottakNorwegian
- odbiór, recepcja, zasięg, przyjęciePolish
- приём, регистратура, стойка администратора, банкет, ресепшн, приёмнаяRussian
- doček, prijem, recepcijaSerbo-Croatian
- mottagande, mottagning, reception, vaktSwedish
Get even more translations for Reception »
Find a translation for the Reception definition in other languages:
Select another language: