Definitions for READrɛd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word READ
something that is read
"the article was a very good read"
interpret something that is written or printed
"read the advertisement"; "Have you read Salman Rushdie?"
have or contain a certain wording or form
"The passage reads as follows"; "What does the law say?"
look at, interpret, and say out loud something that is written or printed
"The King will read the proclamation at noon"
obtain data from magnetic tapes
"This dictionary can be read by the computer"
interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky; also of human behavior
"She read the sky and predicted rain"; "I can't read his strange behavior"; "The fortune teller read his fate in the crystal ball"
interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression
"I read this address as a satire"; "How should I take this message?"; "You can't take credit for this!"
learn, study, read, take(verb)
be a student of a certain subject
"She is reading for the bar exam"
read, register, show, record(verb)
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
audition for a stage role by reading parts of a role
"He is auditioning for `Julius Caesar' at Stratford this year"
to hear and understand
"I read you loud and clear!"
understand, read, interpret, translate(verb)
make sense of a language
"She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
A reading or an act of reading, especially an actor's part of a play.
To think, believe; to consider (that).
To look at and interpret letters or other information that is written.
To speak aloud words or other information that is written. Often construed with a to phrase or an indirect object.
To interpret or infer a meaning, significance, etc.
I can read his feelings in his face.
To consist of certain text.
On the door hung a sign that read, "Proper Safety Equipment Required Beyond This Point."
Of text, etc., to be interpreted or read in a particular way.
Arabic reads right to left.
To substitute (a corrected piece of text in place of an erroneous one); .
To be able to hear what another person is saying over a radio connection.
Do you read me?
To make a special study of, as by perusing textbooks.
I am reading theology at university.
to recognise (someone) as being transgender
Every time I go outside, I worry that someone will read me.
, a less common spelling variant of Reid.
transferred from the surname.
Origin: raudaz, from reudh-.
rennet. See 3d Reed
to advise; to counsel
to interpret; to explain; as, to read a riddle
to tell; to declare; to recite
to go over, as characters or words, and utter aloud, or recite to one's self inaudibly; to take in the sense of, as of language, by interpreting the characters with which it is expressed; to peruse; as, to read a discourse; to read the letters of an alphabet; to read figures; to read the notes of music, or to read music; to read a book
hence, to know fully; to comprehend
to discover or understand by characters, marks, features, etc.; to learn by observation
to make a special study of, as by perusing textbooks; as, to read theology or law
to give advice or counsel
to tell; to declare
to perform the act of reading; to peruse, or to go over and utter aloud, the words of a book or other like document
to study by reading; as, he read for the bar
to learn by reading
to appear in writing or print; to be expressed by, or consist of, certain words or characters; as, the passage reads thus in the early manuscripts
to produce a certain effect when read; as, that sentence reads queerly
saying; sentence; maxim; hence, word; advice; counsel. See Rede
imp. & p. p. of Read, v. t. & i
instructed or knowing by reading; versed in books; learned
Origin: [OE. reden, rden, AS. rdan to read, advise, counsel, fr. rd advice, counsel, rdan (imperf. reord) to advise, counsel, guess; akin to D. raden to advise, G. raten, rathen, Icel. ra, Goth. rdan (in comp.), and perh. also to Skr. rdh to succeed. 116. Cf. Riddle.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'READ' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #430
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'READ' in Written Corpus Frequency: #363
Rank popularity for the word 'READ' in Verbs Frequency: #74
DARE, dare, dear, 'eard, rade
Images & Illustrations of READ
Translations for READ
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- чыта́ць, прачыта́цьBelarusian
- чета́, прочета́, чу́вам, прочитамBulgarian
- sentir, llegir, llegir-se, estudiarCatalan, Valencian
- číst, být gramotný, předčítatCzech
- studieren, [[gelesen]] [[werden]], vorlesen, [[lesen]] [[können]], lesen, hören, verstehenGerman
- διαβάζω, ανάγνωσηGreek
- leer, entenderse, leerse, decir, interpertase, poner, estudiar, lecturaSpanish
- lugema, kuulma, omandama, vaataEstonian
- atzeman, irakurri, leitu, erakurriBasque
- lukea, kuullaFinnish
- recevoir, lire, étudier, se lire, lectureFrench
- lêzeWestern Frisian
- leughScottish Gaelic
- elolvas, felolvas, olvasHungarian
- ընթերցել, կարդալArmenian
- mengerti, berbunyi, pelajari, dibaca, bacaIndonesian
- lesa, lesningIcelandic
- leggere, leggersi, leggere ad alta voce, ricevereItalian
- 読む, 読み上げるJapanese
- atuarpoqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- អាន, មើលKhmer
- xwendin, خوێندن, bihîstin, xwandin, bîstin, vekolînKurdish
- lego, studere, legor, recitoLatin
- liesenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- kōrero, pānui, rītiMāori
- പഠിക്കുക, വായിക്കുക, വായനMalayalam
- lezen, ontvangen, horen, gelezen worden, voorlezenDutch
- lese, studere, høre, oppfatte, forståNorwegian
- ííníshtaʼNavajo, Navaho
- ਵਾਚਣਾPanjabi, Punjabi
- studiować, odczytać, czytać, przeczytać, odczytywać, czytać sięPolish
- copiar, dizer, ler, estudar, ler-se, leitura, lidaPortuguese
- ñawinchay, qillqaqhaway, ñawilliy, ñawiyQuechua
- a putea citi, lectura, a lectura, a fi citit, citi, a fi lecturat, lecturare, intonare, citireRomanian
- прочита́ть, чита́ть, изуча́тьRussian
- पठ्, पठतिSanskrit
- lèzere, lègere, lízere, ligi, lígiri, lígere, lèghereSardinian
- čitati, читатиSerbo-Croatian
- කියවනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- brati, čìtatiSlovene
- lexon, lexojAlbanian
- balaSouthern Sotho
- höra, läsa, studera, uppfatta, förstå, läsningSwedish
- వల్లెవేయు, చదువుTelugu
- อ่านออกเสียง, อ่านThai
- bumasa, basahinTagalog
- чита́ти, прочита́тиUkrainian
- đọc, nghiên cứu, ghi, đề, học, viết, chỉVietnamese
Get even more translations for READ »
Find a translation for the READ definition in other languages:
Select another language: