Definitions for Profileˈproʊ faɪl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Profile
an analysis (often in graphical form) representing the extent to which something exhibits various characteristics
"a biochemical profile of blood"; "a psychological profile of serial killers"
an outline of something (especially a human face as seen from one side)
degree of exposure to public notice
"that candidate does not have sufficient visibility to win an election"
a vertical section of the Earth's crust showing the different horizons or layers
"The author of this article profiles a famous painter"
represent in profile, by drawing or painting
the outermost shape, view, or edge of an object
His fingers traced the profile of the handle.
The shape, view, or shadow of a person's head from the side; a side view.
The brooch showed the profile of a Victorian woman.
A summary or collection of information, especially about a person
Law enforcement assembled a profile of the suspect.
a specific space or field in which users can provide various types of personal information in software or Internet systems
I just updated my Facebook profile to show I got engaged.
the amount by which something protrudes
Choose a handle with a low profile so it does not catch on things.
Acting is, by nature, profession in which one must keep a high profile.
A smoothed (e.g., troweled or brushed) vertical surface of an excavation showing evidence of at least one feature or diagnostic specimen; the graphic recording of such as by sketching, photographing, etc.
character; totality of related characteristics; signature; status (especially in scientific, technical, or military uses)
What's the thermal profile on that thing?
to create a summary or collection of information, especially about a person
to act based on such a summary; especially, to act on a stereotype. See profiling.
Origin: From profil, from profilo, later also proffilo, from pro-, from pro + filo, from filum; see file.
an outline, or contour; as, the profile of an apple
a human head represented sidewise, or in a side view; the side face or half face
a section of any member, made at right angles with its main lines, showing the exact shape of moldings and the like
a drawing exhibiting a vertical section of the ground along a surveyed line, or graded work, as of a railway, showing elevations, depressions, grades, etc
to draw the outline of; to draw in profile, as an architectural member
to shape the outline of an object by passing a cutter around it
Origin: [It. profilo, fr. L. pro before + filum a thread, an outline, shape: cf. F. profil. See File arow, and cf. Purfle, Purl, a fringe.]
Profile is an album by American guitarist Pat Donohue, released in 2005. Most of the songs are written in a ragtime blues style that showcase Donohue's skillful guitar playing. In addition to his own compositions, Donohue also plays traditional blues songs, such as "Risin' River" and "Step it Up and Go".
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. A control file for a program, esp. a text file automatically read from each user's home directory and intended to be easily modified by the user in order to customize the program's behavior. Used to avoid hardcoded choices (see also dot file, rc file). 2. [techspeak] A report on the amounts of time spent in each routine of a program, used to find and tune away the hot spots in it. This sense is often verbed. Some profiling modes report units other than time (such as call counts) and/or report at granularities other than per-routine, but the idea is similar. 3.[techspeak] A subset of a standard used for a particular purpose. This sense confuses hackers who wander into the weird world of ISO standards no end!
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
See flight profile.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Profile' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4096
Rank popularity for the word 'Profile' in Nouns Frequency: #1446
Images & Illustrations of Profile
Translations for Profile
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حد, سمعة, سيرة, شهرة, صورة, بروزArabic
- henkilökuva, sivukuva, profiili, ääriviivat, siluetti, profiloidaFinnish
- profil, réputation, contourFrench
- iomradhScottish Gaelic
- profil, körvonalHungarian
- プロフィール, 注目度, 横顔, 輪郭, 評判, プロファイルJapanese
- профили́ровать, про́фильRussian
Get even more translations for Profile »
Find a translation for the Profile definition in other languages:
Select another language: