Definitions for MSmɪz; ˈmɪz əz
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word MS
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
Category: Geography (places)
Ms.*mɪz; ˈmɪz əz(pl.)Mses.
a title of respect prefixed to a woman's name: unlike Miss or Mrs., it does not depend upon or indicate her marital status.
a title prefixed to a mock surname that is used to represent possession of a particular attribute, identity, etc.:
Category: Common Vocabulary
* Usage: Ms . came into use in the 1940s. In the early 1970s the women's movement adopted and encouraged the use of Ms . on the grounds that since a man's marital status is not revealed by Mr., a woman's status should not be revealed by her title. Since then Ms . has gained wide currency, esp. in business and professional spheres.Pron: The pronunciation of Ms. (miz) is identical with one standard South Midland and Southern U.S. pronunciation of Mrs.
meter per second.
Category: Weights and Measures
Master of Science.
Master of Surgery.
Category: Education, Medicine
multiple sclerosis, MS, disseminated sclerosis, disseminated multiple sclerosis(noun)
a chronic progressive nervous disorder involving loss of myelin sheath around certain nerve fibers
Mississippi, Magnolia State, MS(noun)
a state in the Deep South on the gulf of Mexico; one of the Confederate States during the American Civil War
Master of Science, MS, SM, MSc(noun)
a master's degree in science
the form of a literary work submitted for publication
a form of address for a woman
A title used before an adult female's name or surname instead of Miss or Mrs.
Metres per second.
Origin: Pre-19th century contraction of "Mistress" (http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/missmanners/index.html); widely adopted by feminists from the 1970s onwards as a non-sexist title that does not reveal or assume the marital status of the woman to which it is applied, by analogy with Mr, which functions in this way.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
Common net abbreviation for Microsoft, everybody's least favorite monopoly.
Translations for MS
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a polite title given, especially in writing, to a woman, whether married or unmarried
- لَقَب للسَّيِّدَه أو الآنِسَهArabic
- senhoraPortuguese (BR)
- fru; frøkenDanish
- sra., señoraSpanish
- preili, neiu, prouaEstonian
- पांडुलिपि का संक्षिप्त अंग्रेजी रूपHindi
- (családi állapotot nem feltűntető női megszólítás)Hungarian
- frú, ungfrúIcelandic
- (여성이 미혼인지 기혼인지 모를 때 성·성명에 붙여) …씨, …님Korean
- senhora donaPortuguese
- миз, госпожаRussian
- pani, slečnaSlovak
- gospođa ili gospođicaSerbian
- gemensam titel för gift eller ogift kvinnaSwedish
- คำเรียกผู้หญิง (ใช้ได้ทั้งหญิงแต่งงานแล้วและยังไม่ได้แต่ง)Thai
- 女士(書面縮寫)Chinese (Trad.)
- عورتوں کا عام لقب، بیاہی ہوں یا بن بیاہیUrdu
- danh hiệu cho phụ nữ chưa chồngVietnamese
- 女士（缩写式）Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for MS »
Find a translation for the MS definition in other languages:
Select another language: