Definitions for Indexˈɪn dɛks; -dəˌsiz
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Index
a numerical scale used to compare variables with one another or with some reference number
index, index number, indicant, indicator(noun)
a number or ratio (a value on a scale of measurement) derived from a series of observed facts; can reveal relative changes as a function of time
exponent, power, index(noun)
a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
an alphabetical listing of names and topics along with page numbers where they are discussed
index, index finger, forefinger(verb)
the finger next to the thumb
list in an index
provide with an index
"index the book"
adjust through indexation
"The government indexes wages and prices"
An alphabetical listing of items and their location; for example, the index of a book lists words or expressions and the pages of the book upon which they are to be found.
The index finger, the forefinger, or other pointer.
A sign; an indication; a token.
His son's empty guffaws ... struck him with pain as the indices of a weak mind.
A type of noun where the meaning of the form changes with respect to the context. E.g., 'Today's newspaper' is an indexical form since its referent will differ depending on the context. See also icon and symbol.
A single number calculated from an array of prices or of quantities.
A number representing a property or ratio, a coefficient.
A raised suffix indicating a power.
An integer or other key indicating the location of data e.g. within a vector, database table, associative array, or hash table.
A data structure that improves the performance of operations on a table.
To arrange an index for something, especially a long text.
To inventory, to take stock.
Origin: From index, from indico; see indicate.
that which points out; that which shows, indicates, manifests, or discloses
that which guides, points out, informs, or directs; a pointer or a hand that directs to anything, as the hand of a watch, a movable finger on a gauge, scale, or other graduated instrument. In printing, a sign used to direct particular attention to a note or paragraph; -- called also fist
a table for facilitating reference to topics, names, and the like, in a book; -- usually alphabetical in arrangement, and printed at the end of the volume
a prologue indicating what follows
the second digit, that next pollex, in the manus, or hand; the forefinger; index finger
the figure or letter which shows the power or root of a quantity; the exponent
to provide with an index or table of references; to put into an index; as, to index a book, or its contents
An index is a list of words or phrases and associated pointers to where useful material relating to that heading can be found in a document. In a traditional back-of-the-book index the headings will include names of people, places and events, and concepts selected by a person as being relevant and of interest to a possible reader of the book. The pointers are typically page numbers, paragraph numbers or section numbers. In a library catalog the words are authors, titles, subject headings, etc., and the pointers are call numbers. Internet search engines, such as Google, and full text searching help provide access to information but are not as selective as an index, as they provide non-relevant links, and may miss relevant information if it is not phrased in exactly the way they expect.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Index' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2224
Rank popularity for the word 'Index' in Nouns Frequency: #892
Translations for Index
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- índexCatalan, Valencian
- rejstřík, index, indexovatCzech
- ddangoseg, nangoseg, dangoseg, fynegai, mynegaiWelsh
- indeks, indholdsfortegnelse, indeksereDanish
- Index, Verzeichnis, indizierenGerman
- κατάλογος, ένδειξη, δείκτης, εκθέτης, ευρετήριο, πίνακας, συντελεστής, καταλογογραφώGreek
- indekso, indeksiEsperanto
- índice, indexarSpanish
- نمایه, فهرست, شاخص, نمودارPersian
- merkki, indeksi, hakemisto, indeksoidaFinnish
- indice, index, indexerFrench
- clàr-amaisScottish Gaelic
- veldisvísir, vísitala, atriðaskrá, röðunarskráIcelandic
- indice, indicizzareItalian
- 索引, 指数, 指標, インデックス, 表題, 総目録Japanese
- საძიებელი, ინდექსი, ხარისხის მაჩვენებელიGeorgian
- 索引, 색인Korean
- tātai pukapukaMāori
- register, inhoud, index, indexerenDutch
- indeks, innholdsfortegnelse, innhold, stikkordregisterNorwegian
- spis, indeks, indeksowaćPolish
- índice, indexarPortuguese
- index, a crestaRomanian
- указатель, индекс, показатель, знак, коэффициент, показатель степени, индексироватьRussian
- казало, kazalo, pokazatelj, показатељ, индекс, indeksSerbo-Croatian
- indeks, kazalec, kazaloSlovene
- index, förteckningSwedish
- విషయ సూచిక, సూచికTelugu
- indeks, dizinTurkish
- chỉ số, chỉ mụcVietnamese
Get even more translations for Index »
Find a translation for the Index definition in other languages:
Select another language: