Definitions for GNUnu, nyu
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word GNU
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
gnunu, nyu(n.)(pl.)gnus; gnu.
either of two stocky, oxlike African antelopes, the silvery gray Connochaetestaurinus or the black
Ref: Also called wildebeest.
Origin of gnu:
1770–80; Khoikhoi, first recorded as t'gnu
large African antelope having a head with horns like an ox and a long tufted tail
A large antelope native to Africa having curved horns.
Origin: Coined 1983 by Richard M. Stallman as a recursive acronym for "GNU's Not Unix", following convention of naming programs similar to or inspired by existing programs as “(New Name) Is Not (Old Name)”; compare .
one of two species of large South African antelopes of the genus Catoblephas, having a mane and bushy tail, and curved horns in both sexes
GNU is a Unix-like computer operating system developed by the GNU Project. It is composed wholly of free software. It is based on the GNU Hurd kernel and is intended to be a "complete Unix-compatible software system" GNU is a recursive acronym for "GNU's Not Unix!", chosen because GNU's design is Unix-like, but differs from Unix by being free software and containing no Unix code. Development of GNU was initiated by Richard Stallman in 1983 and was the original focus of the Free Software Foundation, but no stable release of GNU yet exists as of May 2013. Non-GNU kernels, most famously the Linux kernel, can also be used with GNU. Richard Stallman views GNU as a "technical means to a social end".
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [acronym: ‘GNU’s Not Unix!', see recursive acronym] A Unix-workalike development effort of the Free Software Foundation headed by Richard Stallman. GNU EMACS and the GNU C compiler, two tools designed for this project, have become very popular in hackerdom and elsewhere. The GNU project was designed partly to proselytize for RMS's position that information is community property and all software source should be shared. One of its slogans is “Help stamp out software hoarding!” Though this remains controversial (because it implicitly denies any right of designers to own, assign, and sell the results of their labors), many hackers who disagree with RMS have nevertheless cooperated to produce large amounts of high-quality software for free redistribution under the Free Software Foundation's imprimatur. The GNU project has a web page at http://www.gnu.org/. See EMACS, copyleft, General Public Virus, Linux. 2. Noted Unix hacker John Gilmore <firstname.lastname@example.org>}, founder of Usenet's anarchic alt.* hierarchy.
Translations for GNU
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a type of large African antelope.
- wildebees, gnoeAfrikaans
- نو: حيوان أفريقي يُشْبِه البَقَرArabic
- африканска антилопаBulgarian
- gnuPortuguese (BR)
- pakůň hřívnatýCzech
- das GnuGerman
- γκνου (είδος αντιλόπης)Greek
- گوزن یالدارFarsi
- कुरंग, हिरण, मृगHindi
- 누(아프리카산의 소영양의 일종)Korean
- گوزن یالدارPersian
- غرڅه، كوزن، ښكرور غرڅهPashto
- Güney Afrika antilobuTurkish
- 牛羚, 角馬Chinese (Trad.)
- ایک قسم کا افریقی ہرنUrdu
- linh dương đầu bòVietnamese
- 牛羚，角马Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for GNU »
Find a translation for the GNU definition in other languages:
Select another language: