Definitions for FITfɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word FIT
fit, tantrum, scene, conniption(noun)
a display of bad temper
"he had a fit"; "she threw a tantrum"; "he made a scene"
paroxysm, fit, convulsion(noun)
a sudden uncontrollable attack
"a paroxysm of giggling"; "a fit of coughing"; "convulsions of laughter"
the manner in which something fits
"I admired the fit of her coat"
a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason)
"a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
meeting adequate standards for a purpose
"a fit subject for discussion"; "it is fit and proper that you be there"; "water fit to drink"; "fit for duty"; "do as you see fit to"
fit(p), primed(p), set(p)(adj)
(usually followed by `to' or `for') on the point of or strongly disposed
"in no fit state to continue"; "fit to drop"; "laughing fit to burst"; "she was fit to scream"; "primed for a fight"; "we are set to go at any time"
physically and mentally sound or healthy
"felt relaxed and fit after their holiday"; "keeps fit with diet and exercise"
suit, accommodate, fit(verb)
be agreeable or acceptable to
"This suits my needs"
be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired
"This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
meet, fit, conform to(verb)
satisfy a condition or restriction
"Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
"fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
insert or adjust several objects or people
"Can you fit the toy into the box?"; "This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree(verb)
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
"The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
conform to some shape or size
"How does this shirt fit?"
equip, fit, fit out, outfit(verb)
provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose
"The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
make correspond or harmonize
"Match my sweater"
imp. & p. p. of Fight
in Old English, a song; a strain; a canto or portion of a ballad; a passus
adapted to an end, object, or design; suitable by nature or by art; suited by character, qualitties, circumstances, education, etc.; qualified; competent; worthy
conformed to a standart of duty, properiety, or taste; convenient; meet; becoming; proper
to make fit or suitable; to adapt to the purpose intended; to qualify; to put into a condition of readiness or preparation
to bring to a required form and size; to shape aright; to adapt to a model; to adjust; -- said especially of the work of a carpenter, machinist, tailor, etc
to supply with something that is suitable or fit, or that is shaped and adjusted to the use required
to be suitable to; to answer the requirements of; to be correctly shaped and adjusted to; as, if the coat fits you, put it on
to be proper or becoming
to be adjusted to a particular shape or size; to suit; to be adapted; as, his coat fits very well
the quality of being fit; adjustment; adaptedness; as of dress to the person of the wearer
the coincidence of parts that come in contact
the part of an object upon which anything fits tightly
a stroke or blow
a sudden and violent attack of a disorder; a stroke of disease, as of epilepsy or apoplexy, which produces convulsions or unconsciousness; a convulsion; a paroxysm; hence, a period of exacerbation of a disease; in general, an attack of disease; as, a fit of sickness
a mood of any kind which masters or possesses one for a time; a temporary, absorbing affection; a paroxysm; as, a fit melancholy, of passion, or of laughter
a passing humor; a caprice; a sudden and unusual effort, activity, or motion, followed by relaxation or insction; an impulse and irregular action
a darting point; a sudden emission
Origin: [AS. fitt a song.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'FIT' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2526
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'FIT' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1281
Rank popularity for the word 'FIT' in Nouns Frequency: #2912
Rank popularity for the word 'FIT' in Verbs Frequency: #240
Rank popularity for the word 'FIT' in Adjectives Frequency: #413
Images & Illustrations of FIT
Translations for FIT
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ставам, съгласувам се, в добра форма, нагаждам, подходящ, припадък, порив, екипирам, пристъп, монтирам, съответствам, слагам, подхождамBulgarian
- adequat, apteCatalan, Valencian
- sedět, vhodný, padnoutCzech
- passe til, tilpasse, i form, slagtilfælde, passe sammen, passende, pasvormDanish
- scharf, Anfall, passen, sexy, heiß, PaßformGerman
- σπασμός, ταιριάζω, κατάλληλος, υγιής, προσαρμόζω, ικανός, κρίση, κάνω, ξέσπασμα, παροξυσμός, προμηθεύωGreek
- quedar, apropiado, caber, hacer juego, convulción, crisisSpanish
- kohtaus, sovelias, sopia, puuska, korrekti, sairaskohtaus, sopivaFinnish
- crise, convenir, adapter, ajuster, allerFrench
- freagairScottish Gaelic
- התאים, התקףHebrew
- roham, kitörés, epizódHungarian
- սազեցնել, պիտանի, համապատասխանել, պատշաճ, բռնել, սազելArmenian
- in formaInterlingua
- tepat, segar bugar, pas, sehat, adjustar, sesuai, serasi, cocokIndonesian
- adatto, confacente, rispondente, indicato, in forma, idoneo, appropriatoItalian
- 美人, 適する, 健康, 合う, 適切, 元気, 合わせる, 似合う, 適合Japanese
- derēt, vingrs, lēkme, atbilstošs, sakrist, piemērots, atbilstīgsLatvian
- aanpassen, fit, passenDutch
- passeNorwegian Nynorsk
- iichʼąhNavajo, Navaho
- ataque, caber, servir, combinar, crise, ajustar, apropriado, convulsãoPortuguese
- порыв, приступ, подходить, приспосабливать, быть впору, подгонять, подойти, припадок, прилаживатьRussian
- utbrott, anfall, passande, snygg, passa, trim, prova ut, skräddarsy, skov, attack, form, läcker, passformSwedish
- uydurmak, uymakTurkish
Get even more translations for FIT »
Find a translation for the FIT definition in other languages:
Select another language: