education, instruction, teaching, pedagogy, didactics, educational activity(noun)
the activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill
"he received no formal education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed"; "good classroom teaching is seldom rewarded"
knowledge acquired by learning and instruction
"it was clear that he had a very broad education"
the gradual process of acquiring knowledge
"education is a preparation for life"; "a girl's education was less important than a boy's"
the profession of teaching (especially at a school or college or university)
education, training, breeding(noun)
the result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior)
"a woman of breeding and refinement"
Department of Education, Education Department, Education(noun)
the United States federal department that administers all federal programs dealing with education (including federal aid to educational institutions and students); created 1979
The process or art of imparting knowledge, skill and judgment
A good teacher is essential for a good education
Facts, skills and ideas that have been learned, either formally or informally
Origin: From educatio, from educo, from educo. See educate.
the act or process of educating; the result of educating, as determined by the knowledge skill, or discipline of character, acquired; also, the act or process of training by a prescribed or customary course of study or discipline; as, an education for the bar or the pulpit; he has finished his education
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
as conceived of by Ruskin, and alone worthy of the name, "the leading human souls to what is best, and making what is best out of them"; and attained, "not by telling a man what he knew not, but by making him what he was not."
The Roycroft Dictionary
A form of self-delusion by those who muff every good wheeze.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Acquisition of knowledge as a result of instruction in a formal course of study.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Education' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #317
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Education' in Written Corpus Frequency: #715
Rank popularity for the word 'Education' in Nouns Frequency: #110
The numerical value of Education in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of Education in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is, not a preparation for life; education is life itself.
Any education that matters is liberal. All the saving truths, all the healing graces that distinguish a good education from a bad one or a full education from a half empty one are contained in that word.
I hate to be anti-education, but I just don’t think it’s the way to go, you have to get people at just the right time when they want to pay attention - just sending education out there doesn’t produce any change at all.
Quality education is a key to civilization and socialization. Yes! sound education is bound to make you civilized and socialized eventually. Thus, endeavour to be educated. Besides, never mind your age in your quest for education. For, it does not matter.
Nagging questions remain Where is the line between making the most of one's potential and reaching for the unattainable Where is the line between education as a tool and education as a kind of magic The line is blurred and that is why when education fails, disillusionment is so bitter.
Images & Illustrations of Education
Translations for Education
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- opvoeding, onderwysAfrikaans
- تربية, تعليم, ثقافةArabic
- təlim, təhsil, tərbiyə, maarifAzerbaijani
- educacióCatalan, Valencian
- vzdělání, vzděláváníCzech
- uddannelse, undervisningDanish
- Schulung, Aufklärung, Ausbildung, Unterricht, Bildung, ErziehungGerman
- μόρφωση, εκπαίδευσηGreek
- edukado, edukoEsperanto
- آموزش, معرفت, تعلیم, تحصیلاتPersian
- kasvatus, koulutus, opetusFinnish
- enseignement, éducationFrench
- ûnderwiisWestern Frisian
- teagasg, foghlaimScottish Gaelic
- शिक्षा, Hindi
- nevelés, oktatás, műveltségHungarian
- ուսում, կրթությունArmenian
- istruzione, educazioneItalian
- оқу, ағарту, білім беруKazakh
- 教育, 교육Korean
- پهروهرده, زانیاریKurdish
- билим берүү, агартууKyrgyz
- cultus, educationLatin
- ugdymas, lavinimas, auklėjimas, išsilavinimasLithuanian
- audzināšana, izglītībaLatvian
- akoranga mataurangaMāori
- pendidikan, pelajaranMalay
- ပညာရေး, ပညာBurmese
- utdannelse, utdanningNorwegian
- opvoeding, onderwijsDutch
- utdanning, utdaningNorwegian Nynorsk
- edukacja, wykształceniePolish
- educação, ensinoPortuguese
- educație, învățământ, educareRomanian
- образование, просвещение, обучение, воспитаниеRussian
- prosvjeta, ȉzobrazba, одгајивање, просвета, vaspitanje, образовање, obrazovanje, prosveta, nȁobrazba, odgoj, odgajivanje, васпитање, просвјетаSerbo-Croatian
- අධ්යාපනයSinhala, Sinhalese
- izobraževanje, izobrazbaSlovene
- edukim, arsimAlbanian
- utbildning, undervisningSwedish
- magaryf, terbiýeleýiş, bilimTurkmen
- maʻrifat, maorif, tahsilUzbek
- giáo dục, sự, 教育Vietnamese
- חינוך, בילדונגYiddish
Get even more translations for Education »
Find a translation for the Education definition in other languages:
Select another language: