Definitions for DELTAˈdɛl tə
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word DELTA
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet (Δ, δ).
the fourth in a series of items.
anything triangular, like the Greek capital delta (Δ).
Math. an incremental change in a variable, as Δ or δ.
a nearly flat plain of alluvial, often triangular, deposit between diverging branches of the mouth of a river.
Category: Geography (terms)
(cap.) a star that is usu. the fourth brightest of a constellation:
Origin of delta:
1350–1400; ME < L < Gk délta; akin to Heb dāleth
a low triangular area of alluvial deposits where a river divides before entering a larger body of water
"the Mississippi River delta"; "the Nile delta"
an object shaped like an equilateral triangle
the 4th letter of the Greek alphabet
The fourth letter of the modern Greek alphabet u0394, u03B4.
A landform at the mouth of a river where it empties into a body of water.
The letter D in the ICAO spelling alphabet, which assigns words to letters of the alphabet.
u03B4 In the IPA, the symbol that represents the voiced dental fricative, the hard th in the English word father; frequently represented by the Icelandic eth (u00F0).
The symbol u0394.
A small but noticeable effect, compare with epsilon.
This will slow the main code path down, but only by delta.
The set of differences between two versions of a file.
When you update the file, the system will only save the deltas.
The angle subtended at the center of a circular arc.
A municipality in British Columbia, Canada
Origin: From its location near the delta of the
a tract of land shaped like the letter delta (/), especially when the land is alluvial and inclosed between two or more mouths of a river; as, the delta of the Ganges, of the Nile, or of the Mississippi
Delta is the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 4. It was derived from the Phoenician letter dalet . Letters that come from delta include Latin D and Cyrillic Д. A river delta is so named because its shape approximates the upper-case letter delta.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
the signature of D. Macbeth Moir in Blackwood's Magazine.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. [techspeak] A quantitative change, especially a small or incremental one (this use is general in physics and engineering). “I just doubled the speed of my program!” “What was the delta on program size?” “About 30 percent.” (He doubled the speed of his program, but increased its size by only 30 percent.) 2. [Unix] A diff, especially a diff stored under the set of version-control tools called SCCS (Source Code Control System) or RCS (Revision Control System). 3. n. A small quantity, but not as small as epsilon. The jargon usage of delta and epsilon stems from the traditional use of these letters in mathematics for very small numerical quantities, particularly in ‘epsilon-delta’ proofs in limit theory (as in the differential calculus). The term delta is often used, once epsilon has been mentioned, to mean a quantity that is slightly bigger than epsilon but still very small. “The cost isn't epsilon, but it's delta” means that the cost isn't totally negligible, but it is nevertheless very small. Common constructions include within delta of —, within epsilon of —: that is, ‘close to’ and ‘even closer to’.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
This condition applies in the immediate area where a terrorist attack has occurred or when intelligence has been received that terrorist action against a specific location or person is imminent. Normally, this FPCON is declared as a localized condition. FPCON DELTA measures are not intended to be sustained for substantial periods. See also antiterrorism; force protection.
Anagrams of DELTA
Translations for DELTA
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a roughly triangular area of land formed at the mouth of a river which reaches the sea in two or more branches
the delta of the Nile.
- دِلْتا ، دال النَّهْرArabic
- deltaPortuguese (BR)
- das DeltaGerman
- δέλτα ποταμούGreek
- (jõe) suudmealaEstonian
- دلتای رودخانه؛ آب پخشانFarsi
- vrsta riječnog ušća u obliku trokutaCroatian
- delta (folyóé)Hungarian
-  deltaLatvian
- delta, (elve)osNorwegian
- دلتای رودخانه؛ آب پخشانPersian
- دلتا، ديو نانى الفباء څلورم تورى، هغه خړه چه دسيل په اثر درود په شاوخوا كې تشكيله شوې وى، دنيل درود دلتاPashto
- (河流的)三角洲Chinese (Trad.)
- دریا کے دہانے پر اسکی مختلف شاخوں کے درمیان تکونا قطعئہ زمین جو دریا کی لائی ہوئی مٹی سے بنتا ہےUrdu
- châu thổ; đồng bằngVietnamese
- （河流的）三角洲Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for DELTA »
Find a translation for the DELTA definition in other languages:
Select another language: