Definitions for Citizenshipˈsɪt ə zənˌʃɪp, -sən-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Citizenship
the status of a citizen with rights and duties
conduct as a citizen
"award for good citizenship"
The status of being a citizen.
the state of being a citizen; the status of a citizen
Citizenship denotes the link between a person and a state or an association of states. It is normally synonymous with the term nationality although the latter term may also refer to ethnic connotations. Possession of citizenship is normally associated with the right to work and live in a country and to participate in political life. A person who does not have citizenship in any state is said to be stateless. Nationality is often used as a synonym for citizenship in English – notably in international law – although the term is sometimes understood as denoting a person's membership of a nation. In some countries, e.g. the United States, "nationality" and "citizenship" have different meanings, and it is possible to be a national of the country but not a citizen.
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We can't wait any longer for a path to full and equal citizenship.
He doesn't believe in a path to citizenship. If he did at one time, he no longer does.
Many people have been there for a very long period of time, they need access to citizenship.
It is time to give them legal status, it is time to create a reasonable and responsible path to citizenship.
They need to get citizenship (in a foreign country) and that's why they made this up. We don't threaten them.
Images & Illustrations of Citizenship
Translations for Citizenship
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ciutadaniaCatalan, Valencian
- borgerskab, statsborgerskabDanish
- Staatsbürgerschaft, Staatsangehörigkeit, BürgerschaftGerman
- شهروندان, شهروندیPersian
- nationalité, citoyennetéFrench
- saoranachdScottish Gaelic
- 公民権, 国籍, 市民権Japanese
- ពលរដ្ឋភាព, សញ្ជាតិKhmer
- атуулдук, жарандык, граждандыкKyrgyz
- држа́вјанство, гра́ѓанствоMacedonian
- харъяат, иргэншилMongolian
- status kewarganegaraan, kerakyatanMalay
- statsborgerskap, borgerskapNorwegian
- гражда́нство, по́дданствоRussian
- državljanstvo, држављанствоSerbo-Croatian
- පුරවැසි බවSinhala, Sinhalese
- гражданият, табаиятTajik
- fuqarolik, tabaalik, grajdanlikUzbek
- quyền công dânVietnamese
Get even more translations for Citizenship »
Find a translation for the Citizenship definition in other languages:
Select another language: