Definitions for Captionˈkæp ʃən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Caption
taking exception; especially a quibble based on a captious argument
"a mere caption unworthy of a reply"
translation of foreign dialogue of a movie or TV program; usually displayed at the bottom of the screen
brief description accompanying an illustration
provide with a caption, as of a photograph or a drawing
The descriptive heading or title of a document or part therof
A title or brief explanation attached to an illustration or cartoon.
A piece of text appearing on screen as subtitle or other part of a film or broadcast.
The section on an official paper that describes when, where, what was taken, found or executed, and by whom it was authorized.
A seizure or capture, especially of tangible property (chattel).
To add captions to a text or illustration.
Only once the drawing is done will the letterer caption it.
To add captions to a film or broadcast.
Origin: Recorded since c.1384, "taking, seizure," from capcion or directly from captio, from the past participle of capere ("to take").
a caviling; a sophism
the act of taking or arresting a person by judicial process
that part of a legal instrument, as a commission, indictment, etc., which shows where, when, and by what authority, it was taken, found, or executed
the heading of a chapter, section, or page
Origin: [L. captio, fr. caper to take. In senses 3 and 4, perhaps confounded in meaning with L. caput a head. See Capacious.]
CAPTION is an annual comic convention specialising in British small press comics. It was first held in Oxford in January 1992, subsequently being held in summer each year. Loosely based around a theme, each year's event offers panels and workshops related to small press comics along with the opportunity to buy and sell them. There is also a significant social aspect. CAPTION is currently the longest-running comics convention in Britain. CAPTION differs from other conventions by breaking down the distinction between named guests and other attendees, avoiding segregation or special treatment of guests. In addition it prioritizes the social interaction of attendees by encouraging comics creators to place their publications on the CAPTION stall, managed by a rota of volunteers.
Translations for Caption
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- рубрика, надпис, заглавие, надписиBulgarian
- titulek, popisek, opatřit titulky, opatřit popiskemCzech
- Bildunterschrift, Filmuntertitel, Bildüberschrift, Rubrum, Titel, Legende, Beschriftung, UntertitelGerman
- prefacio, subtítulo, leyenda, subtitular, título, intitularSpanish
- kuvateksti, tekstitys, otsikkoFinnish
- légende, légender, sous-titre, sous-titrerFrench
- fo-thiotalScottish Gaelic
- didascalia, sottotitolo, intestazione, dicitura, parte iniziale, legendaItalian
- опис, заглавие, натпис, титл, титлуваMacedonian
- opschrift, hoofding, ondertitel, titelen, hoofd, certificaat, bijschrift, certificatie, legende, onderschrift, titel, ondertitelen, betitelen, kopDutch
- podpis, napis, nagłówek, napisyPolish
- legendar, legendaPortuguese
- надпись, подпись, сопроводительная бумага, заголовок, заглавие, рубрика, заставкаRussian
Get even more translations for Caption »
Find a translation for the Caption definition in other languages:
Select another language: