Definitions for BETbɛt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word BET
stake, stakes, bet, wager(noun)
the money risked on a gamble
the act of gambling
"he did it on a bet"
maintain with or as if with a bet
"I bet she will be there!"
bet, wager, play(verb)
stake on the outcome of an issue
"I bet $100 on that new horse"; "She played all her money on the dark horse"
count, bet, depend, look, calculate, reckon(verb)
have faith or confidence in
"you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis"
A degree of certainty.
To agree that payment be made to the successful forecaster of the result of an event (usually sporting) by the other party in the agreement. To make a guess about the outcome of an event.
To be sure of something; to be able to count on something.
To place money into the pot in order to require others do the same, usually only used for the first person to place money in the pot on each round.
A diminutive of Elizabeth.
Origin: Named after its inventors Brunau, Emmett and Teller.
that which is laid, staked, or pledged, as between two parties, upon the event of a contest or any contingent issue; the act of giving such a pledge; a wager
to stake or pledge upon the event of a contingent issue; to wager
imp. & p. p. of Beat
an early form of Better
Bet, Beth, Beh, or Vet is the second letter of many Semitic abjads, including Arabic alphabet bāʾ ب, Aramaic, Hebrew ב, Phoenician and Syriac ܒ. Its value is. This letter's name means "house" in various Semitic languages, and appears to derive from a Middle Bronze Age picture of a house by acrophony. The Phoenician letter gave rise to the Greek Beta, Latin B, and Cyrillic Б, В.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
bet, n. a wager: something staked to be lost or won on the result of a doubtful issue, as a horse-race, or the like.—v.t. and v.i. to lay or stake, as a bet:—pr.p. bet′ting; pa.t. and pa.p. bet or bet′ted.—ns. Bet′ter, one who bets—also Bet′tor; Bet′ting, act of betting or proposing a wager.—An even bet, an equal chance.—You bet, in American slang, certainly. [Prob. shortened from the noun Abet.]
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BET' in Written Corpus Frequency: #829
Rank popularity for the word 'BET' in Verbs Frequency: #668
The numerical value of BET in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of BET in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of BET
Translations for BET
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- облог, басирам се, обзалагам се, сигурен съм, басBulgarian
- aposta, apostarCatalan, Valencian
- vsadit, sázkaCzech
- væddemål, væddeDanish
- Bestimmtheit, Wette, wettenGerman
- στοιχηματίζω, ποντάρω, στοίχημαGreek
- veti, vetoEsperanto
- apuesta, apostarSpanish
- trabes, apustu eginBasque
- mahdollisuus, veto, lyödä vetoa, veikataFinnish
- parier, pariFrench
- התערבות, התערבHebrew
- taruh, bertaruhIndonesian
- scommessa, scommettereItalian
- სანაძლეო, ნაძლევი, დანიძლავებაGeorgian
- eqquiniutKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- derēt, derības, likme, būt, saderētLatvian
- wedden, waarschijnlijkheid, weddenschap, gokken, er van op aan kunnen, er op kunnen rekenenDutch
- vedde på, vedde, veddemålNorwegian
- zakład, stawiać na, postawić, zakładać sięPolish
- aposta, apostarPortuguese
- держать пари, быть уверенным, заклад, ставка, биться об закладRussian
- staviť, stávkovať, vsadiťSlovak
- staviti, stavaSlovene
- satsa, vad, slå vadSwedish
Get even more translations for BET »
Find a translation for the BET definition in other languages:
Select another language: