the supreme effort one can make
"they did their best"
the person who is most outstanding or excellent; someone who tops all others
"he could beat the best of them"
Best, C. H. Best, Charles Herbert Best(adj)
Canadian physiologist (born in the United States) who assisted F. G. Banting in research leading to the discovery of insulin (1899-1978)
(superlative of `good') having the most positive qualities
"the best film of the year"; "the best solution"; "the best time for planting"; "wore his best suit"
(comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable
"it would be better to speak to him"; "the White House thought it best not to respond"
outdo, outflank, trump, best, scoop(adverb)
get the better of
"the goal was to best the competition"
in a most excellent way or manner
"he played best after a couple of martinis"
it would be sensible
"you'd best stay at home"
from a position of superiority or authority
"father knows best"; "I know better."
The supreme effort one can make
I did my best.
The person (or persons) who is (are) most excellent.
To beat in a contest; to surpass in skill or achievement.
Origin: From beste, from betst, betest, from batistaz, from bhAd-. Cognate with best, best, best, beste, bedst, bäst, bestur. More at better.
having good qualities in the highest degree; most good, kind, desirable, suitable, etc.; most excellent; as, the best man; the best road; the best cloth; the best abilities
most advanced; most correct or complete; as, the best scholar; the best view of a subject
most; largest; as, the best part of a week
utmost; highest endeavor or state; most nearly perfect thing, or being, or action; as, to do one's best; to the best of our ability
in the highest degree; beyond all others
to the most advantage; with the most success, case, profit, benefit, or propriety
most intimately; most thoroughly or correctly; as, what is expedient is best known to himself
to get the better of
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
best, adj. (serves as superl. of Good) good in the highest degree: first: highest: most excellent.—n. one's utmost endeavour: the highest perfection.—adv. (superl. of Well) in the highest degree: in the best manner.—v.t. (coll.) to get the better of.—Best man and Best maid, the groomsman and bridesmaid at a wedding.—At the best, or At best, in the best possible way, at most after every allowance is made; For the best, with the best intentions; I were best = it were best for me.—To have the best of it, to gain the advantage in a contest; To make the best of one's way, to go by the best possible road; To put one's best foot foremost, to do the best, or to make the best show, one can. [A.S. betst, betest. See Better.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BEST' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #320
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BEST' in Written Corpus Frequency: #433
Rank popularity for the word 'BEST' in Adverbs Frequency: #120
The numerical value of BEST in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of BEST in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Images & Illustrations of BEST
Translations for BEST
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ال, أحسن, أفضل, أفArabic
- най-добре, най-добър, вземам връх надBulgarian
- millorCatalan, Valencian
- porazit, nejlepší, nejlépeCzech
- übertreffen, Bester, Beste, am besten, BestesGerman
- άριστα, κάλλισταGreek
- aventajar, flor, mejor, rebasar, superar, derrotar, nata, élite, vencer, sobrepasarSpanish
- بهشت, بِهتَرین, بهترینPersian
- paras, päihittää, parhaiten, parhaimmisto, parhainFinnish
- crème, aplatir, enfoncer, élite, vaincre, meilleur, défaire, mieux, battre, dominer, dessus du panier, fleur, écraser, surpasserFrench
- dícheall, is fearrIrish
- mellor, eliteGalician
- share, bareManx
- լավագույն, ամենալավArmenian
- migliore, vincere, dominare, superare, battereItalian
- הטוב ביותרHebrew
- 最もよい, 最良, ベスト, 最高, 一番Japanese
- გადასარევად, საუკეთესოGeorgian
- optime, optima, optimum, optimusLatin
- terbaik, paling baik, paling bagus, terbagusMalay
- verslaan, slaan, overmeesteren, best, overwinnenDutch
- best, beste, slåNorwegian
- всё возможное, лучший, наилучшийRussian
- najbolje, најбољи, najboljiSerbo-Croatian
- më, i, miriAlbanian
- besegra, bästa, bäst, bästeSwedish
- en iyiTurkish
Get even more translations for BEST »
Find a translation for the BEST definition in other languages:
Select another language: