Definitions for BEGbɛg
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word BEG
beg, implore, pray(verb)
call upon in supplication; entreat
"I beg you to stop!"
solicit, beg, tap(verb)
make a solicitation or entreaty for something; request urgently or persistently
"Henry IV solicited the Pope for a divorce"; "My neighbor keeps soliciting money for different charities"
ask to obtain free
"beg money and food"
dodge, avoid answering, or take for granted
"beg the question"; "beg the point in the discussion"
a title of honor in Turkey and in some other parts of the East; a bey
to ask earnestly for; to entreat or supplicate for; to beseech
to ask for as a charity, esp. to ask for habitually or from house to house
to make petition to; to entreat; as, to beg a person to grant a favor
to take for granted; to assume without proof
to ask to be appointed guardian for, or to ask to have a guardian appointed for
to ask alms or charity, especially to ask habitually by the wayside or from house to house; to live by asking alms
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'BEG' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3066
Rank popularity for the word 'BEG' in Verbs Frequency: #734
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg.
To give in order to receive is not to give, but to beg.
He who knows how to beg can always leave his money at home.
Let me beg for your mercy if I have failed to earn your respect.
I beg for you guys to please respect everyone here, we really are one community.
Images & Illustrations of BEG
Translations for BEG
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- احتمل, استجدى, تسولArabic
- умолявам, моля, бег, прося, изпросвамBulgarian
- suplicar, mendicar, pidolar, pregarCatalan, Valencian
- anflehen, bettelnGerman
- ζητιανεύω, ικετεύω, επαιτώGreek
- suplicar, mendigar, rogarSpanish
- pyytää, kärttää, anella, kerjätä, beg, anoaFinnish
- quémander, implorer, quêter, supplier, mendierFrench
- התחנן, לקבץ נדבות, לבקשHebrew
- kéreget, könyörög, bég, koldulHungarian
- աղաչել, մուրալArmenian
- implorar, mendicarInterlingua
- mohon, minta, mengemis, minta-mintaIndonesian
- mendicare, elemosinare, pregare, implorareItalian
- 物乞い, 頼むJapanese
- მუდარა, ხვეწნაGeorgian
- mendicare, rogareLatin
- minene, mīnono, pikoni, pīnonoMāori
- smeken, bedelenDutch
- prosić, żebrać, błagaćPolish
- mendigar, suplicarPortuguese
- ruga, cerșiRomanian
- умолять, просить, побираться, попрошайничать, попроситьRussian
- prositi, zamoliti, molitiSerbo-Croatian
- tigga, bönfalla, beSwedish
- ขอทาน, ขอร้องThai
- begön, lubegönVolapük
Get even more translations for BEG »
Find a translation for the BEG definition in other languages:
Select another language: