assistant, helper, help, supporter(adj)
a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
"my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another
Someone who is present; a bystander, a witness.
A person who assists or helps someone else.
A software tool that provides assistance in some task.
Having a subordinate or auxiliary position.
Origin: From assistant, from assister.
helping; lending aid or support; auxiliary
of the second grade in the staff of the army; as, an assistant surgeon
one who, or that which, assists; a helper; an auxiliary; a means of help
an attendant; one who is present
Origin: [Cf. F. assistant, p. pr. of assister.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Assistant' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4590
Rank popularity for the word 'Assistant' in Nouns Frequency: #1495
Rank popularity for the word 'Assistant' in Adjectives Frequency: #673
The numerical value of Assistant in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of Assistant in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A manager is an assistant to his men.
( Brown) hired the assistant coach, the administrative assistant and recruited the student-athlete involved, the committee held him responsible.
Paying a fee to audition for a casting assistant in order to 'demystify the casting process' is like paying a hooker to become a better conversationalist.
When I crawled to the next room, it was horrible. I saw the dead body of our office assistant on fire, she was sitting on the chair with blood dripping from her body as she burned.
``Mr. Adkins lost the Florida state lottery and won an all-expense-paid trip to the Florida state prison for 18 months,``said Assistant State Attorney Ken Padowitz, who prosecuted him.
Images & Illustrations of Assistant
Translations for Assistant
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- помощник, асистент, спомагателенBulgarian
- auxiliar, assistenteCatalan, Valencian
- pomocník, pomocnice, asistent, asistentkaCzech
- Assistent, Helfer, Mitarbeiter, helfend, hilfreichGerman
- asistente, ayudanteSpanish
- دستیار, آسیستانPersian
- assistentti, aputyöntekijä, apulais-, apulainen, avustaja, avustavaFinnish
- aide, auxiliaire, assistantFrench
- segéd, helyettes, asszisztensHungarian
- helpanto, helperoIdo
- asîstan, شاگردKurdish
- taituarā, kaiāwhinaMāori
- assistent, assisterende, medhjelperNorwegian
- medhjelpar, assistentNorwegian Nynorsk
- ajudante, assistentePortuguese
- ассистентка, ассистент, помощница, вспомогательный, помощникRussian
- asistente, asistentAlbanian
Get even more translations for Assistant »
Find a translation for the Assistant definition in other languages:
Select another language: