Definitions for Anguishˈæŋ gwɪʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word Anguish
anguish, torment, torture(noun)
extreme mental distress
extreme distress of body or mind
suffer great pains or distress
pain, anguish, hurt(verb)
cause emotional anguish or make miserable
"It pains me to see my children not being taught well in school"
Extreme pain, either of body or mind; excruciating distress.
To suffer pain.
To cause to suffer pain.
extreme pain, either of body or mind; excruciating distress
to distress with extreme pain or grief
Anguish is a term used in philosophy, often as a translation from the Latin for angst. It is a paramount feature of existentialist philosophy, in which anguish is often understood as the experience of an utterly free being in a world with zero absolutes. In the theology of Kierkegaard, it refers to a being with total free will who is in a constant state of spiritual fear that his freedom will lead him to fall short of the standards that God has laid out for him. In the teachings of Sartre, anguish is seen when an utterly captured being realizes the unpredictability of his or her action. For an example, when walking along a cliff, you would feel anguish to know that you have the freedom to throw yourself down to your imminent death.
Translations for Anguish
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- страдам, страдание, измъчвам се, мъчение, измъчвам, терзаниеBulgarian
- Kreuz, Todesangst, AgonieGerman
- βασανίζω, οδύνη, υποφέρω, αγωνία, πονώ, αγωνιώ, μαρτύριο, βασανίζομαιGreek
- angustia, angustiar, congoja, anxtiaSpanish
- tuska, kärsimysFinnish
- angoisse de la mort, croix, affres de la mort, calvaireFrench
- aggodalom, gyötrelem, kín, gyötrődésHungarian
- angoscia, agonia, penare, ambascia, addolorare, croce, calvario, soffrireItalian
- doodsstrijd, martelgang, agonie, martelen, doodsangst, lijden, hevigDutch
- angústia, agoniaPortuguese
- agonie, suferi, chin, chinuiRomanian
- му́ка, страдание, терзание, мучение, тоска, мучитьRussian
- agonija, patitiSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for Anguish »
Find a translation for the Anguish definition in other languages:
Select another language: