Definitions for ASSISTəˈsɪst
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ASSIST
aid, assist, assistance, help(noun)
the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
"he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
(sports) the act of enabling another player to make a good play
help, assist, aid(verb)
give help or assistance; be of service
"Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
act as an assistant in a subordinate or supportive function
serve, attend to, wait on, attend, assist(verb)
work for or be a servant to
"May I serve you?"; "She attends the old lady in the wheelchair"; "Can you wait on our table, please?"; "Is a salesperson assisting you?"; "The minister served the King for many years"
A helpful action or an act of giving.
The foundation gave a much needed assist to the shelter.
a statistic used in different sports to quantify the act of helping another player score points or goals; in baseball, an assist is defensive, allowing a teammate to record a putout.
He had two assists in the game.
To stand (at a place) or to (an opinion), to attend a theatrical performance.
A great part of the nobility assisted to his opinion.
To make a pass that leads directly towards scoring.
Origin: From assister, from assistere, both words meaning, "to assist."
to give support to in some undertaking or effort, or in time of distress; to help; to aid; to succor
to lend aid; to help
to be present as a spectator; as, to assist at a public meeting
ASSIST is an IBM System/370-compatible assembler and interpreter developed in the 1970s at Penn State University by John Mashey and a group of Mashey's student assistants. Originally, ASSIST was available only to universities and was implemented at several hundred of them, but was occasionally used elsewhere. In 1998, Penn State declared that ASSIST was no longer copyrighted and that the program was freely available.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'ASSIST' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3791
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'ASSIST' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4575
Rank popularity for the word 'ASSIST' in Verbs Frequency: #470
Translations for ASSIST
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- памагчы́, дапамага́ць, дапамагчы́, паспрыя́ць, спрыя́ць, памага́цьBelarusian
- асистирам, съдействам, асистенция, помагамBulgarian
- assistènciaCatalan, Valencian
- pomáhat, asistovatCzech
- helfen, beistehen, unterstützen, assistierenGerman
- ayudar, asistirSpanish
- avustaa, syöttää, syöttö, auttaaFinnish
- passe décisive, assister, aiderFrench
- assistere, aiutareItalian
- āwhina, whakamahiri, whakahirihiriMāori
- assisteren, bijstaan, voorzetten, een [[voorzet]] [[geven]]Dutch
- assistir, [[prestar]] [[assistência]], ajudar, assistênciaPortuguese
- ajuta, asistaRomanian
- результати́вная переда́ча, помога́ть, голево́й пас, поспосо́бствовать, помо́чь, ассисти́ровать, соде́йствовать, спосо́бствовать, посоде́йствоватьRussian
- assist, assistera, hjälpa, bistå, stödjaSwedish
- допомага́ти, допомогти́, сприя́ти, посприя́тиUkrainian
- hỗ trợ, trợ giúp, giúpVietnamese
Get even more translations for ASSIST »
Find a translation for the ASSIST definition in other languages:
Select another language: