Definitions for ASSIGNəˈsaɪn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word ASSIGN
delegate, designate, depute, assign(verb)
give an assignment to (a person) to a post, or assign a task to (a person)
assign, allot, portion(verb)
"We were assigned new uniforms"
impute, ascribe, assign, attribute(verb)
attribute or credit to
"We attributed this quotation to Shakespeare"; "People impute great cleverness to cats"
assign, specify, set apart(verb)
select something or someone for a specific purpose
"The teacher assigned him to lead his classmates in the exercise"
attribute or give
"She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"; "He put all his efforts into this job"; "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
make undue claims to having
transfer one's right to
decide as to where something belongs in a scheme
"The biologist assigned the mushroom to the proper class"
To designate or set apart something for some purpose.
To appoint or select someone for some office.
To allot or give something as a task.
To attribute or sort something into categories.
To transfer property, a legal right, etc., from one person to another.
to appoint; to allot; to apportion; to make over
to fix, specify, select, or designate; to point out authoritatively or exactly; as, to assign a limit; to assign counsel for a prisoner; to assign a day for trial
to transfer, or make over to another, esp. to transfer to, and vest in, certain persons, called assignees, for the benefit of creditors
a thing pertaining or belonging to something else; an appurtenance
a person to whom property or an interest is transferred; as, a deed to a man and his heirs and assigns
Origin: [See Assignee.]
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
1. To place units or personnel in an organization where such placement is relatively permanent, and/or where such organization controls and administers the units or personnel for the primary function, or greater portion of the functions, of the unit or personnel. 2. To detail individuals to specific duties or functions where such duties or functions are primary and/or relatively permanent. See also attach.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'ASSIGN' in Verbs Frequency: #770
Translations for ASSIGN
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تعيين شخص لعمل ماArabic
- назначавам, възлагам, приписвам, определям, предназначавамBulgarian
- přiřadit, přidělitCzech
- asignar, designarSpanish
- määrätä, siirtää, nimittää, luovuttaa, myöntää, antaa, valitaFinnish
- designer, attribuerFrench
- átenged, átruházHungarian
- assegnare, accantonare, attribuire, categorizzareItalian
- 割り当てる, 譲渡, 任命Japanese
- conferir, imputar, atribuir, designar, concederPortuguese
- назнача́ть, назна́чить, определя́ть, определи́тьRussian
Get even more translations for ASSIGN »
Find a translation for the ASSIGN definition in other languages:
Select another language: