a business relation in which two parties compete to gain customers
"business competition can be fiendish at times"
an occasion on which a winner is selected from among two or more contestants
competition, contention, rivalry(noun)
the act of competing as for profit or a prize
"the teams were in fierce contention for first place"
rival, challenger, competitor, competition, contender(noun)
the contestant you hope to defeat
"he had respect for his rivals"; "he wanted to know what the competition was doing"
The action of competing.
The competition for this job is strong.
A contest for a prize or award.
The newspaper is featuring a competition to win a car.
The competitors in such a contest.
The new stain remover was ten times more effective than the competition.
Origin: From competitio, from competere, from peto.
the act of seeking, or endeavoring to gain, what another is endeavoring to gain at the same time; common strife for the same objects; strife for superiority; emulous contest; rivalry, as for approbation, for a prize, or as where two or more persons are engaged in the same business and each seeking patronage; -- followed by for before the object sought, and with before the person or thing competed with
Competition in biology, ecology, and sociology, is a contest between organisms, animals, individuals, groups, etc., for territory, a niche, or a location of resources, for resources and goods, for prestige, recognition, awards, mates, or group or social status, for leadership; it is the opposite of cooperation. It arises whenever at least two parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared or which is desired individually but not in sharing and cooperation. Competition occurs naturally between living organisms which co-exist in the same environment. For example, animals compete over water supplies, food, mates, and other biological resources. Humans compete usually for food and mates, though when these needs are met deep rivalries often arise over the pursuit of wealth, prestige, and fame. Competition is also a major tenet in market economy and business is often associated with competition as most companies are in competition with at least one other firm over the same group of customers, and also competition inside a company is usually stimulated for meeting and reaching higher quality of services or products that the company produce or develop.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. The struggle for a cake of ice in hell. 2. The life of trade, and the death of the trader.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'competition' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1061
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'competition' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1516
Rank popularity for the word 'competition' in Nouns Frequency: #443
The numerical value of competition in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of competition in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of competition
Translations for competition
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- конкуренция, съперничество, съревнование, състезаниеBulgarian
- competició, competènciaCatalan, Valencian
- soupeření, konkurování, konkurence, soutěžCzech
- Konkurrenz, WettbewerbGerman
- συναγωνισμός, διαγωνισμός, ανταγωνισμόςGreek
- competencia, competiciónSpanish
- kilpailu, kisaFinnish
- concurrence, concours, compétitionFrench
- kompetysjeWestern Frisian
- प्रतियोगिता, प्रतिस्पर्धाHindi
- verseny, versengésHungarian
- մրցույթ, մրցակցությունArmenian
- concorrenza, gara, concorso, competizioneItalian
- コンペ, コンテスト, 大会, 競争, コンクールJapanese
- 競爭, 경기, 경쟁 시험, 경쟁, 경진 대회Korean
- berêkane, sîbaq, hevrikî, riberiz, reqabet, misabiqe, hawirkan, pêşbazî, pêşbirkKurdish
- наптревар, натпревар, конкуренцијаMacedonian
- persaingan, pertandinganMalay
- toernooi, competitie, concurrentieDutch
- konkurs, rywalizacja, zawodyPolish
- competição, concurso, concorrênciaPortuguese
- competiție, concurs, concurențăRomanian
- состязание, соперничество, соревнование, конкуренция, конкурсRussian
- konkurrens, tävlingSwedish
- పందెము, పోటీ, పోటీచేయుTelugu
- cuộc thi, cạnh tranhVietnamese
Get even more translations for competition »
Find a translation for the competition definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these competition definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"competition." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 22 Mar. 2018. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/competition>.