zigzag, zig, zag(adj)
an angular shape characterized by sharp turns in alternating directions
having short sharp turns or angles
travel along a zigzag path
"The river zigzags through the countryside"
in a zigzag course or on a zigzag path
"birds flew zigzag across the blue sky"
a line or path that proceeds by sharp turns in alternating directions
one of such sharp turns
to move in a zigzag manner
in a zigzag manner or pattern
Moving in, or having a zigzag.
a small town in Oregon
something that has short turns or angles
a molding running in a zigzag line; a chevron, or series of chevrons. See Illust. of Chevron, 3
having short, sharp turns; running this way and that in an onward course
to form with short turns
to move in a zigzag manner; also, to have a zigzag shape
Origin: [F. zigzag, G. zickzack, from zacke, zacken, a dentil, tooth. Cf. Tack a small nail.]
A zigzag is a pattern made up of small corners at variable angles, though constant within the zigzag, tracing a path between two parallel lines; it can be described as both jagged and fairly regular. From the point of view of symmetry, a regular zigzag can be generated from a simple motif like a line segment by repeated application of a glide reflection. The origin of the word is unclear. Its first printed appearance was in French books in the late 17th century.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
zig′zag, n. a short, sharp turning.—adj. having short, sharp turns, bent from side to side.—v.t. to form with short turns:—pr.p. zig′zagging; pa.p. zig′zagged.—adv. with frequent sharp turns—also Zig′zaggy.—n. Zigzag′gery, angular crookedness.—adj. Zig′zaggy, zigzag. [Fr. zig-zag—Ger. zick-zack, zacke, a sharp point.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
The route followed by poets in arriving at truth, as opposed to the direct course which they take for the buffet.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
The popular route after a heavy dinner. Old adage, "The longest way round is the drunkard's way home!"
Song lyrics by zigzag -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by zigzag on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of zigzag in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of zigzag in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of zigzag in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of zigzag
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for zigzag
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- zigzaguejar, ziga-zaga, zig-zagCatalan, Valencian
- o un ochr i'r llall, igam-ogam, igamogamuWelsh
- zigzagi, zigzaga, zigzage, zigzagoEsperanto
- en zigzag, zigzag, zigzaguearSpanish
- sik-sak, mutkittelevasti, mutkitella, siksakki, säntäillä, mutkitteleva, siksak, pujotellaFinnish
- zigzaguer, zigzagFrench
- lùbachScottish Gaelic
- ジグザグに進む, ジグザグ, 雁木Japanese
- იკანკლური, ზიგზაგისებრი, იკანკელი, კლაკნილად, ტეხილი, დაკლაკნილი, იკანკლურად, ზიგზაგი, კლაკნილი, დაკლაკნილად, ზიგზაგური, ზიგზაგურადGeorgian
- 지그재그, 지그재그로, 갈지자로, 갈지자, 비틀배틀, 휙획, 실룩샐룩Korean
- kammdro, kammdreylya, ygam-ogamCornish
- ziguezague, ziguezaguearPortuguese
- зигзаг, делать зигзаги, идти зигзагомRussian
- letswedintswekeSouthern Sotho
Get even more translations for zigzag »
Find a translation for the zigzag definition in other languages:
Select another language: