use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise(noun)
the act of using
"he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
function, purpose, role, use(noun)
what something is used for
"the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
a particular service
"he put his knowledge to good use"; "patrons have their uses"
consumption, economic consumption, usance, use, use of goods and services(noun)
(economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing
"the consumption of energy has increased steadily"
(psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition
"owls have nocturnal habits"; "she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"; "long use had hardened him to it"
exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage
"his manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
(law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property
"we were given the use of his boat"
use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ(verb)
put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
"use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
take or consume (regularly or habitually)
"She uses drugs rarely"
use up, consume fully
"The legislature expended its time on school questions"
seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage
"She uses her influential friends to get jobs"; "The president's wife used her good connections"
practice, apply, use(verb)
avail oneself to
"apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
habitually do something (use only in the past tense)
"She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"; "I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"; "They used to vacation in the Bahamas"
the act of employing anything, or of applying it to one's service; the state of being so employed or applied; application; employment; conversion to some purpose; as, the use of a pen in writing; his machines are in general use
occasion or need to employ; necessity; as, to have no further use for a book
yielding of service; advantage derived; capability of being used; usefulness; utility
continued or repeated practice; customary employment; usage; custom; manner; habit
common occurrence; ordinary experience
the special form of ritual adopted for use in any diocese; as, the Sarum, or Canterbury, use; the Hereford use; the York use; the Roman use; etc
the premium paid for the possession and employment of borrowed money; interest; usury
the benefit or profit of lands and tenements. Use imports a trust and confidence reposed in a man for the holding of lands. He to whose use or benefit the trust is intended shall enjoy the profits. An estate is granted and limited to A for the use of B
a stab of iron welded to the side of a forging, as a shaft, near the end, and afterward drawn down, by hammering, so as to lengthen the forging
to make use of; to convert to one's service; to avail one's self of; to employ; to put a purpose; as, to use a plow; to use a chair; to use time; to use flour for food; to use water for irrigation
to behave toward; to act with regard to; to treat; as, to use a beast cruelly
to practice customarily; to make a practice of; as, to use diligence in business
to accustom; to habituate; to render familiar by practice; to inure; -- employed chiefly in the passive participle; as, men used to cold and hunger; soldiers used to hardships and danger
to be wont or accustomed; to be in the habit or practice; as, he used to ride daily; -- now disused in the present tense, perhaps because of the similarity in sound, between "use to," and "used to."
to be accustomed to go; to frequent; to inhabit; to dwell; -- sometimes followed by of
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ūz, v.t. to put to some purpose: to avail one's self of: to habituate: to treat or behave toward.—v.i. to be accustomed.—adj. U′sable, that may be used.—ns. U′sableness; U′see, one for whose use a suit is brought in another's name; U′ser.—Use one's self (Shak.), to behave; Use up, to consume, to exhaust, to tire out. [Fr. user—L. uti, usus, to use.]
ūs, n. act of using or putting to a purpose: convenience: employment: need: advantage: practice: common occurrence: a distinctive form of public worship or service peculiar to a church, diocese, &c.: custom: interest for money.—n. Us′ance (obs.), use, usage, employment: (Shak.) usury, interest for money: the time allowed by usage for the payment of a bill of exchange.—adj. Use′ful, full of use or advantage: able to do good: serviceable.—adv. Use′fully.—n. Use′fulness.—adj. Use′less, having no use: answering no good purpose or the end proposed.—adv. Use′lessly.—n. Use′lessness.—n.pl. Us′es, a form of equitable ownership peculiar to English law by which one person enjoys the profits of lands, &c., the legal title to which is vested in another in trust.—Use and wont, the customary practice.—Have no use for (U.S.), to have no liking for; In use, in employment or practice; Made use of, to use, to employ; Of no use, useless; Of use, useful; Out of use, not used or employed. [L. usus—uti.]
What does USE stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the USE acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'use' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #265
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'use' in Written Corpus Frequency: #245
Rank popularity for the word 'use' in Nouns Frequency: #67
Rank popularity for the word 'use' in Verbs Frequency: #21
The numerical value of use in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of use in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of use
Translations for use
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- استخدم, استعمل, استعمالArabic
- вы́карыстаць, ўжыва́ць, выкарысто́ўваць, скарысто́ўваць, ужы́ць, ужыва́нне, ўжыць, скарыста́цьBelarusian
- ব্যবহার করাBengali
- usar, utilitzar, ús, fer servirCatalan, Valencian
- použít, použitíCzech
- gebrauchen, gewöhnlich tun, verwenden, Nutzen, Gebrauch, Zweck, Anwendung, Funktion, Benutzung, zu tun pflegen, benutzen, verbrauchenGerman
- χρησιμοποιώ, χρησιμότητα, χρήση, συνηθίζω, καταναλώνωGreek
- función, soler, utilizar, usar, acostumbrar, utilidad, usoSpanish
- به کار بردن, کاربرد, فایده, استفاده کردنPersian
- käyttötarkoitus, käyttökohde, käyttö, käyttää, hyöty, hyödyllisyysFinnish
- usage, utilité, avoir l'habitude de, servir, utiliser, utilisation, emploiFrench
- brûkeWestern Frisian
- cleachd, dèan feum de, math, iomairScottish Gaelic
- uso, utilizar, usarGalician
- इस्तेमाल करनाHindi
- itilizeHaitian Creole
- օգտագործում, օգուտ, օգտագործել, կիրառությունArmenian
- usare, essere solito, usoItalian
- 用いる, 利用, 使用, 用途, 効用, 使用する, 使うJapanese
- 사용, 하다, 使用, 사용하다, 쓰다Korean
- کهڵک, بهکارهێنانKurdish
- uti, usurpatio, ususLatin
- izmantot, lietotLatvian
- nut, gebruik, gebruiken, functieDutch
- brukNorwegian Nynorsk
- bruk, anvendelse, bruke, nytteNorwegian
- choyoołʼįįhNavajo, Navaho
- emplegar, usarOccitan
- użytek, funkcja, stosować, zastosowanie, posługiwać się, używać, stosowanie, użycie, użytecznośćPolish
- utilizar, usar, utilidade, uso, costumarPortuguese
- applitgar, niz, duvrarRomansh
- utilitate, întrebuințare, uz, folosi, utiliza, funcție, folosire, folosințăRomanian
- примене́ние, употреблять, использовать, испо́льзование, применять, прок, употребле́ние, по́льзаRussian
- ко̀ристити, kòristitiSerbo-Croatian
- uporaba, uporabiti, rabaSlovene
- bruk, användning, användaSwedish
- นำมาใช้, ใช้Thai
- kullanmak, kullanış, kullanım, yarar, kullanma, faydaTurkish
- ужи́ти, вжива́ння, використо́вувати, вжи́ти, ви́користати, вжыва́ти, ужыва́тиUkrainian
- استعمال کرناUrdu
- dùng, ích, sử dụng, lợi dụng, xàiVietnamese
- geb, gebönVolapük
Get even more translations for use »
Find a translation for the use definition in other languages:
Select another language: