an event that accomplishes its intended purpose
"let's call heads a success and tails a failure"; "the election was a remarkable success for the Whigs"
an attainment that is successful
"his success in the marathon was unexpected"; "his new play was a great success"
a state of prosperity or fame
"he is enjoying great success"; "he does not consider wealth synonymous with success"
achiever, winner, success, succeeder(noun)
a person with a record of successes
"his son would never be the achiever that his father was"; "only winners need apply"; "if you want to be a success you have to dress like a success"
Something which happens as a consequence; the outcome or result.
The achievement of one's aim or goal.
His third attempt to pass the entrance exam was a success.
Don't let success go to your head.
One who, or that which, achieves assumed goals.
Origin: From successus, from succedere.
act of succeeding; succession
that which comes after; hence, consequence, issue, or result, of an endeavor or undertaking, whether good or bad; the outcome of effort
the favorable or prosperous termination of anything attempted; the attainment of a proposed object; prosperous issue
that which meets with, or one who accomplishes, favorable results, as a play or a player
Origin: [L. successus: cf. F. succs. See Succeed.]
Success Corporation is a Japanese game developer and publisher, based in Tokyo, and founded in: June 1978. They are best known for their Cotton series of shooter games, Zoo Keeper and others. Their most recently published titles include Metal Saga for PlayStation 2 and Minon: Everyday Hero for the Wii console.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. A sunset by Turner. 2. A stained-glass window through which one may see an ironic moon. 3. The final link in a chain of chalk. 4. To rise from the illusion of pursuit to the disillusion of possession. 5. An inability to further fletcherize. 6. Giving up the fight, being possessed of the fallacy that you have won. 7. Death's lullaby. 8. The accomplishment of one's best. 9. To write your name high upon the outhouse of a country tavern. 10. A constant sense of discontent, broken by brief periods of satisfaction on doing some specially good piece of work. 11. A matter of outliving your sins. 12. A subtle connivance of Nature for bringing about a man's defeat. 13. The realization of the estimate which you place upon yourself. 14. Voltage under control--keeping one hand on the transformer of your Kosmic Kilowatts. 15. A matter of the red corpuscle. 16. The thing that spoils many a good failure. 17. Something that is hideous to all but its victims.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A goal usually reached by those who employ their time in cultivating a more definite aim in life rather than in searching for a larger target.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'success' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #713
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'success' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1505
Rank popularity for the word 'success' in Nouns Frequency: #289
The numerical value of success in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of success in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of success
Translations for success
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- èxitCatalan, Valencian
- úspěch, výnosnost, zdarCzech
- éxito, aciertoSpanish
- سوکسه, موفقیتPersian
- onnistuminen, menestyjä, menestys, voitollisuusFinnish
- succès, le succèsFrench
- piseachScottish Gaelic
- सफलता, सफ़लताHindi
- siksèHaitian Creole
- eredmény, siker, kimenetelHungarian
- жетістік, табысKazakh
- 成功, 성공Korean
- سهرکهوتن, سهرکهوتوKurdish
- ийгилик, жетишкендикKyrgyz
- SuccèsLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ဇေယျ, အောင်ပန်းBurmese
- welgang, succesDutch
- sukces, powodzeniePolish
- succes, succeseRomanian
- успех, благосостояние, удачаRussian
- uspjeh, uspeh, успех, успјехSerbo-Croatian
- framgång, succéSwedish
- సాధకుడు లేక సాధకురాలు, లక్ష్యాన్ని చేరుట, ఆర్ధిక స్తొమత, విజయంTelugu
- thành công, sự thành côngVietnamese
Get even more translations for success »
Find a translation for the success definition in other languages:
Select another language: