the sister of your spouse
A female relative of one's generation, separated by one degree of marriage:
Co-sister-in-law: The wife of one's sibling-in-law.
the sister of one's husband or wife; also, the wife of one's brother; sometimes, the wife of one's husband's or wife's brother
A sister-in-law is the sister of one's spouse, the wife of one's sibling, or sometimes the wife of one's spouse's sibling. Relative to a woman, the latter case is occasionally called a 'co-sister-in-law', as they are each the sister-in-law of the others husband. For example, if Jacob and Esau are brothers, Leah being Jacob's wife, and Adah being Esau's wife, then Adah is Jacob's sister-in-law, Leah is Esau's sister-in-law, and Adah and Leah are co-sisters-in-law to one another. Here's another example: If Bill Weasley and Ginny Weasley are brother and sister, Fleur Delacour being Bill's wife and Harry Potter being Ginny's husband, then Harry is Bill's brother-in-law, Fleur is Ginny's sister-in-law and Harry and Fleur are brother-in-law and sister-in-law to each other.
The numerical value of sister-in-law in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of sister-in-law in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This is the worst thing that has happened to us, so far only my sister-in-law has been found.
After they had their baby, my sister in-law said to us, we're up next. Literally the following weekend, I took a pregnancy test, and it was positive.
My husband walked over to the scale [with my sister-in-law] and I just heard both of them laughing and going, ‘Oh my gosh, it can’t be. He can’t be that big,’ they turned around and told me how much he weighed. I was shocked.
There’s always that family part of Christmas [ where ] there’s always that work element there as well, and I think together Meghan Markle had an amazing time, meghan Markle had great fun staying with my brother and sister-in-law and running round with the kids. Christmas was fantastic.
Images & Illustrations of sister-in-law
Translations for sister-in-law
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أخت الزوج أو اخت الزوجةArabic
- käli, naduEstonian
- خواهر شوهرPersian
- käly, natoFinnish
- belle-sœur, belle-soeurFrench
- piuthar-chèile, bean-bhràthair, piuthar-fhear, piuthar-bheanScottish Gaelic
- տագերակին, հարս, քենի, տալArmenian
- svilkona, mágkonaIcelandic
- 義姉, 弟嫁, 兄嫁, 義理の姉, 義妹, 義理の妹Japanese
- SchwéieschLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- brolienė, svainė, vyro sesuo, mošaLithuanian
- ietaļa, mārša, māsīca, vīramāsa, svaineLatvian
- taokete, auwahineMāori
- schoonzuster, schoonzusDutch
- bratowa, szwagierkaPolish
- cunhada, concunhada, [[mulher]]/[[esposa]] [[do]] [[cunhado]]Portuguese
- невестка, золовка, свояченицаRussian
- connata, connadaSardinian
- sivjjot, mannji, gálojeatni, spileNorthern Sami
- snaha, снаха, šogorica, zaova, jetrva, svastika, svast, шурјакиња, сваст, заова, svakinja, јетрва, šurjakinja, свастикаSerbo-Croatian
- தங்கை, அக்கா, கொழுந்தி, அண்ணி, மச்சினிTamil
- yenge, görümce, baldız, eltiTurkish
- em vợ, em dâu, chị dâu, em chồng, chị chồngVietnamese
Get even more translations for sister-in-law »
Find a translation for the sister-in-law definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these sister-in-law definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"sister-in-law." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 25 Apr. 2018. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/sister-in-law>.