moth-eaten, ratty, shabby, tatty(adj)
showing signs of wear and tear
"a ratty old overcoat"; "shabby furniture"; "an old house with dirty windows and tatty curtains"
mean and unworthy and despicable
Torn or worn; poor; mean; ragged.
They lived in a tiny apartment, with some old, shabby furniture.
Clothed with ragged, much worn, or soiled garments.
The fellow arrived looking rather shabby after journeying so far.
Mean; paltry; despicable.
torn or worn to rage; poor; mean; ragged
clothed with ragged, much worn, or soiled garments
mean; paltry; despicable; as, shabby treatment
Origin: [See Shab, n., Scabby, and Scab.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
shab′i,—adj. threadbare or worn, as clothes: having a look of poverty: mean in look or conduct: low: paltry.—adv. Shabb′ily.—n. Shabb′iness.—adj. Shabb′y-genteel′, keeping up or affecting an appearance of gentility, though really shabby. [An adj. formed from shab, an old by-form of scab—thus a doublet of scabby.]
The numerical value of shabby in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of shabby in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Genius, like truth, has a shabby and neglected mien.
There is many a good man to be found under a shabby hat.
Winter lies too long in country towns hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen.
Winter lies too long in country towns; hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen.
If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies.
Images & Illustrations of shabby
Translations for shabby
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- raído, zarrapastrosoSpanish
- onneton, nukkavieru, surkea, nuhruinen, nuhjuinenFinnish
- élimé, miteux, usé, minable, râpéFrench
- schappegLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- pūtaitai, kanukanu, taretareMāori
- esfarrapado, tosco, estropiado, esbodegado, gastoPortuguese
- захудалый, подлый, обветшалый, ветхий, жалкий, потёртый, поношенный, запущенный, убогий, потрёпанный, плюгавыйRussian
- olinjao, похабан, отрцан, олињао, otrcan, pohabanSerbo-Croatian
- sjavig, sjabbig, sjaskig, luggslitenSwedish
Get even more translations for shabby »
Find a translation for the shabby definition in other languages:
Select another language: