recover, retrieve, find, regain(verb)
get or find back; recover the use of
"She regained control of herself"; "She found her voice and replied quickly"
go for and bring back
"retrieve the car from the parking garage"
run after, pick up, and bring to the master
"train the dog to retrieve"
remember, retrieve, recall, call back, call up, recollect, think(verb)
recall knowledge from memory; have a recollection
"I can't remember saying any such thing"; "I can't think what her last name was"; "can you remember her phone number?"; "Do you remember that he once loved you?"; "call up memories"
The return of a difficult ball
To regain or get back something.
To rescue (a) creature(s)
To salvage something
To remedy or rectify something.
To remember or recall something.
To fetch or carry back something.
To fetch and bring in game.
The cook cares not what's shot, only what's actually retrieved
To fetch and bring in game systematically.
Hound breeds called 'retrievers' were selected for retrieving
To fetch or carry back systematically, notably as a game.
Most dogs love retrieving, never mind the (improvised) toy
To make a difficult but successful return of the ball.
Origin: Recorded in c.1410 as retreve (altered to retrive in the 16th century; modern form is from c.1650), from retruev-, stem of (=modern) retrouver "to find again", itself from re- "again" + trouver "to find" (probably from Vulgar *)
to find again; to recover; to regain; to restore from loss or injury; as, to retrieve one's character; to retrieve independence
to recall; to bring back
to remedy the evil consequence of, to repair, as a loss or damadge
to discover and bring in game that has been killed or wounded; as, a dog naturally inclined to retrieve
a seeking again; a discovery
the recovery of game once sprung; -- an old sporting term
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
rē-trēv′, v.t. to recover: to recall or bring back: to bring back to a former state: to repair: to search for and fetch, as a dog does game—also n. (obs.).—adj. Retriev′able, that may be recovered.—n. Retriev′ableness, the state of being retrievable.—adv. Retriev′ably.—ns. Retriev′al; Retrieve′ment; Retriev′er, a dog trained to find and fetch game that has been shot. [O. Fr. retreuver (Fr. retrouver)—re-, again, trouver, to find—Low L. tropare—L. tropus, a song—Gr. tropos, a trope.]
The numerical value of retrieve in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of retrieve in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There are still 30 bodies to retrieve. It´s complicated because it´s at the bottom of the river.
People who have lost the ability to speak can’t retrieve words or maintain a rhythm in their speech.
This video in particular is on a particular type of hard drive that they have the technology to retrieve it off of.
Homeland Security has got advanced equipment, this video in particular is on a particular type of hard drive that they have the technology to retrieve it off of.
When you move that over to a public email address or a personal account, you lose all of that backup capability, so there's no way to actually go back and retrieve it.
Images & Illustrations of retrieve
Translations for retrieve
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- επανορθώνω, διορθώνω, παίρνω, πίσωGreek
- pelastaa, muistaa, noutaa, [[saada]] [[takaisin]], korjata, palauttaa mieleensä, [[hankkia]] [[takaisin]], pelastus, palautusFinnish
- récupérer, retrouverFrench
- վերհիշել, վերականգնել, վերադարձնել, հետ բերել, փրկելArmenian
- mendapatkan kembaliIndonesian
- rintracciare e recuperare, recuperare, riguadagnare, rintracciare, rimediare, riottenere, raccattare, rintracciare e riportare, riportareItalian
- terugbrengen, opduikelen, terugkrijgen, rechtzetten, redding, redden, herstellen, apporteren, bergenDutch
- uratować, naprawić, przynieść, odzyskiwać, ratować, naprawiać, odzyskać, przypomnieć, zaradzić, przypominać, przynosićPolish
- recuperar, resgatar, remediarPortuguese
- принести́, исправля́ть, верну́ть, приноси́ть, спасти́, испра́вить, возвраща́ть, спаса́ть, вспомина́ть, отыска́ть, вспо́мнить, оты́скиватьRussian
- geri almakTurkish
Get even more translations for retrieve »
Find a translation for the retrieve definition in other languages:
Select another language: