a prediction made by extrapolating from past observations
the projection of an image from a film onto a screen
a planned undertaking
any structure that branches out from a central support
any solid convex shape that juts out from something
(psychiatry) a defense mechanism by which your own traits and emotions are attributed to someone else
projection, acoustic projection, sound projection(noun)
the acoustic phenomenon that gives sound a penetrating quality
"our ukuleles have been designed to have superior sound and projection"; "a prime ingredient of public speaking is projection of the voice"
the representation of a figure or solid on a plane as it would look from a particular direction
protrusion, projection, jut, jutting(noun)
the act of projecting out from something
expulsion, projection, ejection, forcing out(noun)
the act of expelling or projecting or ejecting
Something which projects, protrudes, juts out, sticks out, or stands out.
The face of the cliff had many projections which are big enough for birds to nest on.
The action of projecting or throwing or propelling something.
The display of an image by devices such as movie projector, video projector, overhead projector or slide projector.
A forecast or prognosis obtained by extrapolation
A belief or assumption that others have similar thoughts and experiences as oneself
The image that a translucent object casts onto another object.
An image of an object on a surface of fewer dimensions.
A transformation of one thing into something else, e.g. applications of functions.
Any of several systems of intersecting lines that allow the curved surface of the earth to be represented on a flat surface. The set of mathematics used to calculate coordinate positions.
the act of throwing or shooting forward
a jutting out; also, a part jutting out, as of a building; an extension beyond something else
the act of scheming or planning; also, that which is planned; contrivance; design; plan
the representation of something; delineation; plan; especially, the representation of any object on a perspective plane, or such a delineation as would result were the chief points of the object thrown forward upon the plane, each in the direction of a line drawn through it from a given point of sight, or central point; as, the projection of a sphere. The several kinds of projection differ according to the assumed point of sight and plane of projection in each
any method of representing the surface of the earth upon a plane
In linear algebra and functional analysis, a projection is a linear transformation P from a vector space to itself such that P² = P. That is, whenever P is applied twice to any value, it gives the same result as if it were applied once. It leaves its image unchanged. Though abstract, this definition of "projection" formalizes and generalizes the idea of graphical projection. One can also consider the effect of a projection on a geometrical object by examining the effect of the projection on points in the object.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
A defense mechanism, operating unconsciously, whereby that which is emotionally unacceptable in the self is rejected and attributed (projected) to others.
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
A method of representing geometrically on a plane surface varied points, lines, and surfaces not lying in any one plane: used in charts and maps, where it is of various kinds, as globular, orthographic, Mercator's, &c. In ship-building, an elevation taken amidship. (See BODY-PLAN.)
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
In mathematics, the action of giving a projectile its motion. It is also used to signify a scheme, plan, or delineation.
Song lyrics by projection -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by projection on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'projection' in Nouns Frequency: #2877
The numerical value of projection in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of projection in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of projection in a Sentence
They never really had a major strategic role, as force projection wasn't something the PLA was willing, or able, to think about even ten years ago.
In September 2014, I suspended the delivery of the first Mistral battleship to Russia, due to the conflictual situation, a year later, France clearly could not deliver a force-projection instrument to Russia in the current context. The issue was addressed with a strong sense of responsibility from both sides and with mutual respect. I discussed this with President Putin on several occasions.
There are a million people displaced this year and the projection is another million will be displaced inside Syria between now and the end of the year if the violence continues to escalate, so it is safe to assume that more people will be heading to Europe, and rightly so, because the countries that have so generously been hosting these refugees – Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt - are also reaching - in the case of some of them - a breaking point.
Boko Haram's power projection will gain an image boost with such a pledge.
1. A time machine on the shoulders of memories, two advisers: on the right shoulder there is good future, in the left past that is evil, two open rays of time in which consciousness travels. 2. A halo of knowledge within life, this is a recording of a projection, one who feels reality can feel the universe: the past, present and future, and that which is timeless. 3. The laugh of rage Rap beat: Trumpet music ram there beat street rhythm boo boom bang bang there tudum pub bam pa bang boom boom The laughter of rage and the bloody gloom in a smile in consciousness from an evil joke of reality from the fact that you are not worthy to live like everyone else. The ragged strings of the ever-laughing psyche, like the blinking light of madness where there is insight between light and darkness. The interrupted melody of the harmony of the soul. The silence of insight overcomes the mind, the light is visible, leading to a new dimension of thinking, because everything is visible through the transparent eyelids of the vigilance of fear, and only unconsciousness temporarily closes our eyes from fatigue in the realm of the subconscious. 4. Gangsta music: Car sound Wooo ooo woooo oo drum beat drums pap pap pap Laughing grin of smiling reality from the fact that billions of internal realities of people form a single reality of the hidden chaos of egoism. 5. There is nothing cheaper than sins. 7. Patience gives friends. 8. The trumpet sounds a symphony as a drawn out moan of a soul immersed in laughing horrors of reality, an amazing feeling of weightlessness of madness in the soul, a bright expressive pessimistic gloom in her smile in her laughing psyche. The poison of modern philosophy corrodes the psyche to people like acid. All in straitjackets of conservatism are wary of brilliant exotic thinking that is alien to this world created for posterity. 9. The Venereal thoughts of propaganda will decay for a very long time in the genetic thinking of the mentality. 10. The universe is mined by various bombs of philosophies from different eras. To activate them you need to read books, they act as spells from which a new world will be built for new bombs. 11. Instincts are terrible toys of the subconscious, there is a toy world that is developed at the expense of all lived lives, they call to have fun at the expense of oneself. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for projection
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- výstupek, promítání, výčnělek, prognózaCzech
- Prognose, Vorsprung, Projektion, VorhersageGerman
- protuberancia, proyecciónSpanish
- ulkonema, uloke, heittäminen, kieleke, heijastus, projektio, kuvaus, heijastaminen, heijastumaFinnish
- caitheamh amachIrish
- זיז, בְּלִיטָה, הערכה, בֶּלֶטHebrew
- ofanvarp, frávarpIcelandic
- kūraetanga, kotokotoMāori
- projekcja, występ, odwzorowanie, przewidywanie, wyświetlenie, rzutPolish
- proiectare, proiecțieRomanian
- прогноз, выступ, проекцияRussian
Get even more translations for projection »
Find a translation for the projection definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)