a prediction made by extrapolating from past observations
the projection of an image from a film onto a screen
a planned undertaking
any structure that branches out from a central support
any solid convex shape that juts out from something
(psychiatry) a defense mechanism by which your own traits and emotions are attributed to someone else
projection, acoustic projection, sound projection(noun)
the acoustic phenomenon that gives sound a penetrating quality
"our ukuleles have been designed to have superior sound and projection"; "a prime ingredient of public speaking is projection of the voice"
the representation of a figure or solid on a plane as it would look from a particular direction
protrusion, projection, jut, jutting(noun)
the act of projecting out from something
expulsion, projection, ejection, forcing out(noun)
the act of expelling or projecting or ejecting
Something which projects, protrudes, juts out, sticks out, or stands out.
The face of the cliff had many projections which are big enough for birds to nest on.
The action of projecting or throwing or propelling something.
The display of an image by devices such as movie projector, video projector, overhead projector or slide projector.
A forecast or prognosis obtained by extrapolation
A belief or assumption that others have similar thoughts and experiences as oneself
The image that a translucent object casts onto another object.
An image of an object on a surface of fewer dimensions.
A transformation of one thing into something else, e.g. applications of functions.
Any of several systems of intersecting lines that allow the curved surface of the earth to be represented on a flat surface. The set of mathematics used to calculate coordinate positions.
the act of throwing or shooting forward
a jutting out; also, a part jutting out, as of a building; an extension beyond something else
the act of scheming or planning; also, that which is planned; contrivance; design; plan
the representation of something; delineation; plan; especially, the representation of any object on a perspective plane, or such a delineation as would result were the chief points of the object thrown forward upon the plane, each in the direction of a line drawn through it from a given point of sight, or central point; as, the projection of a sphere. The several kinds of projection differ according to the assumed point of sight and plane of projection in each
any method of representing the surface of the earth upon a plane
In linear algebra and functional analysis, a projection is a linear transformation P from a vector space to itself such that P² = P. That is, whenever P is applied twice to any value, it gives the same result as if it were applied once. It leaves its image unchanged. Though abstract, this definition of "projection" formalizes and generalizes the idea of graphical projection. One can also consider the effect of a projection on a geometrical object by examining the effect of the projection on points in the object.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
A defense mechanism, operating unconsciously, whereby that which is emotionally unacceptable in the self is rejected and attributed (projected) to others.
Dictionary of Nautical Terms
A method of representing geometrically on a plane surface varied points, lines, and surfaces not lying in any one plane: used in charts and maps, where it is of various kinds, as globular, orthographic, Mercator's, &c. In ship-building, an elevation taken amidship. (See BODY-PLAN.)
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
In mathematics, the action of giving a projectile its motion. It is also used to signify a scheme, plan, or delineation.
Song lyrics by projection -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by projection on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'projection' in Nouns Frequency: #2877
The numerical value of projection in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of projection in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of projection in a Sentence
1. You take off the mask of hypocrisy, and there are hundreds of billions of laughing monsters of monsters. They laugh in a smile of hatred; an ordinary person simply cannot stand so much awareness. 2. The idea appeared in the mirror maze and it is reflected in all the mirrors, that is, the opinion that the source cannot be found because it is hidden from your eyes. You see that opinion is a sect. 3. Death from the dust of all the dead and dust of memories. Fear is all out of the darkness of the subconscious of billions of threads of manipulation. 4. The face tears up from laughter, and there is not flesh and soul, but a continuous smile of awareness. 5. A ghost is a hologram record of the projection of the universe, once generated by an accident of chaos, living in reality. This spirit is like the same memoirs and nostalgia of the past. This is a retro record of bygone times, traveling in empty eternity and nonsense, feeling only insensibility. A time-space film of time and space existing in time, in the depressing eternity of reality, in the void of consciousness of loneliness. A ghost who sees is not evolutionary progress, but the life cycle of a temporary transformation, rotting from the depravity of people. 6. Modern thinking is a mysterious essence, it is all in blood and is two meters tall, its smile opens to your soul and its smile descends to the earth and opens a portal to the dimension of eternal laughter, to a world without values. 7. Wandering in the midst of twilight darkness, the creative person revealed to the world what was hidden in the egg that lay in this fog, entities and monsters of the subconscious crawled out of it through the force field of imagination and depravity, through the force field they arise in the mind. Some in the imagination become prettier, while others are uglier. Then exhibited in a toy marketing store. 8. Under the ordinary eye, the eye of anger. Under the eye of anger, the eye of despondency. Under the eye of despondency, the eye of insight of enlightenment of good and light, selfless nobleness. 9. Reality is a terrible dystopia of smiling optimism, with wired senses, with laughing monsters in your head, that is, your vices.
The last time I made a projection was when I arrived at Ferrari in 1990 and told my wife that I would stay for only three years, and I'm still here. I have not been making any forecasts since.
Since the beginning of this year, the global and domestic economic environment has experienced a number of changes, reflecting these recent developments, we revised our China macroeconomic forecasts for 2016. Compared with our published forecasts in December last year, we maintain our baseline projection of 2016 real GDP growth at 6.8 percent.
In September 2014, I suspended the delivery of the first Mistral battleship to Russia, due to the conflictual situation, a year later, France clearly could not deliver a force-projection instrument to Russia in the current context. The issue was addressed with a strong sense of responsibility from both sides and with mutual respect. I discussed this with President Putin on several occasions.
The good news of all those climate change plans is that they actually do cut into the business-as-usual projection of greenhouse gas emissions as well as temperature, we are no longer heading to a world that would increase temperatures by 4, 5 or sometimes even 6 degrees( Celsius) according to some studies, which is what we had a few years ago. But, rather, with full implementation of these climate change plans, we could be heading to a future that would increase the global temperature by 2.7 or 3 degrees.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for projection
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- výstupek, promítání, výčnělek, prognózaCzech
- Prognose, Vorsprung, Projektion, VorhersageGerman
- protuberancia, proyecciónSpanish
- ulkonema, uloke, heittäminen, kieleke, heijastus, projektio, kuvaus, heijastaminen, heijastumaFinnish
- caitheamh amachIrish
- זיז, בְּלִיטָה, הערכה, בֶּלֶטHebrew
- ofanvarp, frávarpIcelandic
- kūraetanga, kotokotoMāori
- projekcja, występ, odwzorowanie, przewidywanie, wyświetlenie, rzutPolish
- proiectare, proiecțieRomanian
- прогноз, выступ, проекцияRussian
Get even more translations for projection »
Find a translation for the projection definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)