housewife, homemaker, lady of the house, woman of the house(noun)
a wife who manages a household while her husband earns the family income
The wife of a householder; the mistress of a family; the female head of a household.
A little case or bag for materials used in sewing, and for other articles of female work; called also hussy.
the wife of a householder; the mistress of a family; the female head of a household
a little case or bag for materials used in sewing, and for other articles of female work; -- called also hussy
alt. of Housewive
Origin: [House + wife. Cf. Hussy.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'housewife' in Nouns Frequency: #3019
The numerical value of housewife in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of housewife in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy.
Real Housewife it was way more constricting — it was like directing traffic.
What is simpler than a Yingluck in her garden presenting herself as a housewife and one of the people?
After I got married, I stayed at home as a housewife, now I am teaching in this school alongside pursuing my graduate studies.
Being a housewife and a mother is the biggest job in the world, but if it doesn't interest you, don't do it . I would have made a terrible mother.
Images & Illustrations of housewife
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for housewife
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ربة منزل, ربة أسرة, ربة بيتArabic
- ama de casaSpanish
- perheenemäntä, käsityölaukku, emäntä, kotirouvaFinnish
- matmóðir, húsfrúgv, húsfrúFaroese
- femme au foyer, maîtresse de maison, boîte à ouvrage, trousse de coutureFrench
- bean tíIrish
- עקרת ביתHebrew
- varrókészlet, háziasszonyHungarian
- ibu rumah tanggaIndonesian
- húsfrú, húsmóðirIcelandic
- padrona di casa, casalinga, massaia, donna di casaItalian
- کابان, bermalîKurdish
- gospodyni domowaPolish
- dona-de-casa, dona de casa, caixa de costuraPortuguese
- casnică, gospodinăRomanian
- домаћица, domaćicaSerbo-Croatian
- karı, ev kadını, ev hanımıTurkish
Get even more translations for housewife »
Find a translation for the housewife definition in other languages:
Select another language: