happily, merrily, mirthfully, gayly, blithely, jubilantly(adverb)
in a joyous manner
"they shouted happily"
in an unexpectedly lucky way
"happily he was not injured"
By chance; perhaps.
By good chance; fortunately, successfully.
In a happy or cheerful manner; with happiness.
With good will; in all happiness; willingly.
by chance; peradventure; haply
by good fortune; fortunately; luckily
in a happy manner or state; in happy circumstances; as, he lived happily with his wife
with address or dexterity; gracefully; felicitously; in a manner to success; with success
The New Hacker's Dictionary
Of software, used to emphasize that a program is unaware of some important fact about its environment, either because it has been fooled into believing a lie, or because it doesn't care. The sense of ‘happy’ here is not that of elation, but rather that of blissful ignorance. “The program continues to run, happily unaware that its output is going to /dev/null.” Also used to suggest that a program or device would really rather be doing something destructive, and is being given an opportunity to do so. “If you enter an O here instead of a zero, the program will happily erase all your data.” Nevertheless, use of this term implies a basically benign attitude towards the program: It didn't mean any harm, it was just eager to do its job. We'd like to be angry at it but we shouldn't, we should try to understand it instead. The adjective “cheerfully” is often used in exactly the same way.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'happily' in Adverbs Frequency: #310
The numerical value of happily in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of happily in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Examples of happily in a Sentence
The one I happily enjoy now.
Happily, that was not a risk today.
Happily I don't think it's very likely.
I can live happily now. My life is complete.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
Images & Illustrations of happily
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for happily
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- alegrement, feliçment, afortunadamentCatalan, Valencian
- fröhlich, bereitwillig, glücklich, glücklicherweise, gerneGerman
- afortunadamente, alegremente, dichosamente, felizmente, de buena ganaSpanish
- onnellisesti, halukkaasti, onneksiFinnish
- par bonheur, gaiement, volontiers, joyeusement, heureusementFrench
- volentieri, felicemente, fortunatamenteItalian
- 運良く, 楽しく, 快くJapanese
- propense, feliciter, libenter, sponte, grate, prolixeLatin
- felizmente, alegrementePortuguese
- счастливо, охотно, к счастью, с радостью, с удовольствиемRussian
- радо, са задовљством, sretno, с радошћуSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for happily »
Find a translation for the happily definition in other languages:
Select another language: