a piece broken off or cut off of something else
"a fragment of rock"
shard, sherd, fragmentnoun
a broken piece of a brittle artifact
an incomplete piece
"fragments of a play"
break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentiseverb
break or cause to break into pieces
"The plate fragmented"
A part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing.
A sentence not containing a subject or a predicate.
To break apart.
To cause to be broken into pieces.
a part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing
Etymology: [L. fragmentum, fr. frangere to break: cf. F. fragment. See Break, v. t.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
frag′ment, n. a piece broken off: an unfinished portion.—adj. Frag′mental (also -ment′).—adv. Frag′mentarily.—n. Frag′mentariness.—adjs. Frag′mentary, Frag′mented, consisting of fragments or pieces: broken. [Fr.,—L. fragmentum, frangĕre, to break.]
Song lyrics by fragment -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by fragment on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'fragment' in Nouns Frequency: #1700
The numerical value of fragment in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of fragment in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
We used a bacterial artificial chromosome library to generate and verify sex specific sequence and probes that were important to determine the underlying sex of individuals, a BAC library is constructed by cutting up the dragon DNA, the whole genome, and inserting the fragments into bacterial colonies, one fragment per colony, so you can pull particular dragon sequence out at will.
Many relics that we study turn out to date to a period somewhat later than the historic attestation would suggest, this bone fragment, in contrast, suggests that we could possibly be looking at remains from St Nicholas himself.
We are starting with two digital full bank licenses, so as not to fragment Singapore's small domestic retail banking market.
I have a bullet in my back. Fragment in it broke off near my spine, they say if we take it out, there's a possibility you could be paralyzed.
Love is the extra effort we make in our dealings with those whom we do not like and once you understand that, you understand all. This idea that love overtakes you is nonsense. This is but a polite manifestation of sex. To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for fragment
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- фрагментирам, отломък, парче, раздробявам, раздробявам се, фрагмент, късBulgarian
- fragment, fragmentarCatalan, Valencian
- fragment, úlomek, střep, zlomekCzech
- Satzfragment, Fragment, fragmentierenGerman
- τεμαχίζω, θρυμματίζω, απόσπασμα, θραύσμα, κομματιάζωGreek
- fragmento, fragmentarSpanish
- osanen, hajottaa, sirpale, särkeä, särkyä, hajota, rikkoa, rikkoutua, pirstoutua, fragmentti, pirstoa, sirpaloituaFinnish
- fragment, fragmenterFrench
- mìr, criomag, bìdeagScottish Gaelic
- töredék, darabHungarian
- frammento, frammentareItalian
- フラグメント, 破片, 断片, 欠片Japanese
- rutunga, mōrohe, kongakonga, kora, tūāporo, māhurehure, kuru, korakora, mōteteMāori
- fragment, fragmenterenDutch
- fragmentNorwegian Nynorsk
- fragmenta, bucată, fragmentRomanian
- кусок, разваливаться, обломок, развалиться, разломать, осколок, фрагмент, разламывать, фрагментировать, отрывокRussian
- fràgment, ùlomak, fragmentírati, òdlomakSerbo-Croatian
- parça, kırıntı, kısım, bölüm, fragmanTurkish
Get even more translations for fragment »
Find a translation for the fragment definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)