a piece broken off or cut off of something else
"a fragment of rock"
shard, sherd, fragment(noun)
a broken piece of a brittle artifact
an incomplete piece
"fragments of a play"
break up, fragment, fragmentize, fragmentise(verb)
break or cause to break into pieces
"The plate fragmented"
A part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing.
A sentence not containing a subject or a predicate.
To break apart.
To cause to be broken into pieces.
a part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing
Etymology: [L. fragmentum, fr. frangere to break: cf. F. fragment. See Break, v. t.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
frag′ment, n. a piece broken off: an unfinished portion.—adj. Frag′mental (also -ment′).—adv. Frag′mentarily.—n. Frag′mentariness.—adjs. Frag′mentary, Frag′mented, consisting of fragments or pieces: broken. [Fr.,—L. fragmentum, frangĕre, to break.]
Song lyrics by fragment -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by fragment on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'fragment' in Nouns Frequency: #1700
The numerical value of fragment in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of fragment in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of fragment in a Sentence
The tidal effect on an asteroid, which rapidly rotates under the gravitational field of a planet, can fragment these objects or release large rocks from its surface, which could then become dangerous projectiles at a local scale, such as the one that fell in Chelyabinsk, Russia.
It's just a very brief fragment where Mr. Clark and one of the officers are encountering each other, and then they disappear from sight and there is no other view of them until one of the officers after, there's no audio, but it appears after the shot was fired one of the officers comes back into the camera view.
I have a bullet in my back. Fragment in it broke off near my spine, they say if we take it out, there's a possibility you could be paralyzed.
This fragment is small, but it’s very distinctive, it has a smooth surface, a high polish, that doesn’t occur naturally. It doesn’t occur by accident. Someone has to sit and grind the edge in order to make an axe.
The far-reaching effects of digitalization are stimulating a fundamental re-think of the role of banks, in most advanced financial centers, we are starting with two digital full bank licenses, so as not to fragment Singapore's small domestic retail banking market.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for fragment
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- фрагментирам, отломък, парче, раздробявам, раздробявам се, фрагмент, късBulgarian
- fragment, fragmentarCatalan, Valencian
- fragment, úlomek, střep, zlomekCzech
- Satzfragment, Fragment, fragmentierenGerman
- τεμαχίζω, θρυμματίζω, απόσπασμα, θραύσμα, κομματιάζωGreek
- fragmento, fragmentarSpanish
- osanen, hajottaa, sirpale, särkeä, särkyä, hajota, rikkoa, rikkoutua, pirstoutua, fragmentti, pirstoa, sirpaloituaFinnish
- fragment, fragmenterFrench
- mìr, criomag, bìdeagScottish Gaelic
- töredék, darabHungarian
- frammento, frammentareItalian
- フラグメント, 破片, 断片, 欠片Japanese
- rutunga, mōrohe, kongakonga, kora, tūāporo, māhurehure, kuru, korakora, mōteteMāori
- fragment, fragmenterenDutch
- fragmentNorwegian Nynorsk
- fragmenta, bucată, fragmentRomanian
- кусок, разваливаться, обломок, развалиться, разломать, осколок, фрагмент, разламывать, фрагментировать, отрывокRussian
- fràgment, ùlomak, fragmentírati, òdlomakSerbo-Croatian
- parça, kırıntı, kısım, bölüm, fragmanTurkish
Get even more translations for fragment »
Find a translation for the fragment definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)