reverie, revery, daydream, daydreaming, oneirism, air castle, castle in the air, castle in Spain(verb)
absentminded dreaming while awake
dream, daydream, woolgather, stargaze(verb)
have a daydream; indulge in a fantasy
have dreamlike musings or fantasies while awake
"She looked out the window, daydreaming"
A spontaneous and fanciful series of thoughts while awake not connected to immediate reality.
To have such a series of thoughts; to woolgather.
Stop daydreaming and get back to work!
a vain fancy speculation; a reverie; a castle in the air; unfounded hope
Daydreaming is a short-term detachment from one's immediate surroundings, during which a person's contact with reality is blurred and partially substituted by a visionary fantasy, especially one of happy, pleasant thoughts, hopes or ambitions, imagined as coming to pass, and experienced while awake. There are many types of daydreams, and there is no consistent definition amongst psychologists, however the characteristic that is common to all forms of daydreaming meets the criteria for mild dissociation.
The numerical value of daydream in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of daydream in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare.
A vision without action is called a daydream; but then again, action without a vision is called a nightmare.
Typically if you're going out for a 2-hour or 3-hour run, you can't focus the whole time — sometimes it's good to daydream.
If you've ever been lost in a daydream or zoned out and missed your turn while driving your usual route, you've experienced a form of hypnosis.
Images & Illustrations of daydream
Translations for daydream
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ма́ра, ма́рыцьBelarusian
- мечта́я, блян, блену́вам, мечта́Bulgarian
- snění, snítCzech
- dagdrøm, dagdrømmeDanish
- Tagtraum, tagträumen, träumenGerman
- ρεμβάζω, ονειρεύομαιGreek
- revo, reviEsperanto
- soñar despierto, pensar en la inmortalidad del cangrejoSpanish
- unelm, unistusEstonian
- päiväuni, uneksia, haaveillaFinnish
- rêver, rêverie, rêvasserFrench
- חלם בהקיץ, חלום בהקיץHebrew
- dagdreymi, dagdraumurIcelandic
- sogno ad occhi aperti, fantasticare, fantasticheria, sognare ad occhi apertiItalian
- 白昼夢, 白日夢, 夢想, 空想Japanese
- ფანტაზიორობა, წარმოსახვაGeorgian
- dreemenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- dagdrøm, dagdrømmeNorwegian
- dagdromen, dagdroomDutch
- dagdrøyme, dagdraumNorwegian Nynorsk
- marzenie, marzyć, maraPolish
- sonhar acordado, pensar na morte da bezerra, sonho acordadoPortuguese
- visa cu ochii deschișiRomanian
- мечта́, мечта́ние, грёза, мечта́тьRussian
- сања́рити, sanjáritiSerbo-Croatian
- dagdrömma, dagdrömSwedish
- мрі́яти, мрі́я, ма́ренняUkrainian
- mơ màng, mơ mộngVietnamese
Get even more translations for daydream »
Find a translation for the daydream definition in other languages:
Select another language: