riddle, conundrum, enigma, brain-teaser(noun)
a difficult problem
A difficult question or riddle, especially one using a play on words in the answer.
A difficult choice or decision that must be made.
Origin: A word of unknown origin, probably coined in burlesque imitation of scholastic Latin, as “hocus-pocus” or “panjandrum.”
a kind of riddle based upon some fanciful or fantastic resemblance between things quite unlike; a puzzling question, of which the answer is or involves a pun
a question to which only a conjectural answer can be made
Origin: [Origin unknown.]
Conundrum is an original novel written by Steve Lyons and based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. It features the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice. A prelude to the novel, also penned by Lyons, appeared in Doctor Who Magazine #208. This novel is the fourth book in the "Alternate Universe cycle" which continues until No Future.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kon-un′drum, n. a sort of riddle containing some odd or fanciful resemblance between things quite unlike: any puzzling question. [Ety. dub.]
The numerical value of conundrum in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of conundrum in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This reflects a genuine governance conundrum.
The market is back to its original conundrum, which is' where is the growth ? ,'.
It’s your classic conundrum, whether the Congress should swallow the bad in order to get the good. It’s time to get beyond fighting in the weeds here.
To do that you need an email address. You know, the main person is the grandmother who has no Internet access at that, let alone an email. So I am in a conundrum, I guess you could call it.
I've gotten kind of used to it but it does sort of still pose this conundrum: How is a woman supposed to behave? Well how about the way she is and then people should figure out her instead of her having to figure out everybody else.
Images & Illustrations of conundrum
Translations for conundrum
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- башватҡыс, йомаҡBashkir
- загадка, гатанкаBulgarian
- gåde, ordgåde, hovedbrudDanish
- Qual der Wahl, Rätsel, Vexierfrage, Rätselfrage, Entscheidungsfrage, Scherzfrage, Frage, DilemmaGerman
- σπαζοκεφαλιά, αίνιγμα, δίλημμα, γρίφοςGreek
- acertijo, enigma, interrogante, dilema, adivinanzaSpanish
- kompakysymys, kompa, pulma, arvoitusFinnish
- casse-tête, problème, dilemme, énigmeFrench
- rejtvény, dilemma, találós kérdésHungarian
- առեղծված, գլուխկոտրուկ, հանելուկArmenian
- enigma, dilemma, rompicapoItalian
- dilemma, raadsel, hersenbrekerDutch
- adivinha, dilemaPortuguese
- головоломка, дилемма, загадкаRussian
- muamma, bilmeceTurkish
Get even more translations for conundrum »
Find a translation for the conundrum definition in other languages:
Select another language: