a soft partly suppressed laugh
chuckle, chortle, laugh softly(verb)
laugh quietly or with restraint
A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
He frequently interrupted himself with chortles while he told us his favorite joke.
To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
The old fellow chortled as he recalled his youthful adventures.
Origin: Coined by Lewis Carroll in his poem Jabberwocky, perhaps as a .
The numerical value of chortle in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of chortle in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Images & Illustrations of chortle
Translations for chortle
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- кикотя се, кикотенеBulgarian
- glucksen, chortleGerman
- höröttää, hörähtää, hörötysFinnish
- gloussement, glousserFrench
- hneggja af hlátri, rýta af hlátriIcelandic
- chortle, riso repressoItalian
- Kushiada NageKannada
- luidruchtig grinnikken, verkneukelenDutch
- humre, klukklatter, klukkle, snøfting, humring, snøfteNorwegian
Get even more translations for chortle »
Find a translation for the chortle definition in other languages:
Select another language: