care, attention, aid, tending(noun)
the work of providing treatment for or attending to someone or something
"no medical care was required"; "the old car needs constant attention"
caution, precaution, care, forethought(noun)
judiciousness in avoiding harm or danger
"he exercised caution in opening the door"; "he handled the vase with care"
concern, care, fear(noun)
an anxious feeling
"care had aged him"; "they hushed it up out of fear of public reaction"
a cause for feeling concern
"his major care was the illness of his wife"
care, charge, tutelage, guardianship(noun)
attention and management implying responsibility for safety
"he is in the care of a bodyguard"
care, maintenance, upkeep(verb)
activity involved in maintaining something in good working order
"he wrote the manual on car care"
feel concern or interest
"I really care about my work"; "I don't care"
care, give care(verb)
provide care for
"The nurse was caring for the wounded"
wish, care, like(verb)
prefer or wish to do something
"Do you care to try this dish?"; "Would you like to come along to the movies?"
manage, deal, care, handle(verb)
be in charge of, act on, or dispose of
"I can deal with this crew of workers"; "This blender can't handle nuts"; "She managed her parents' affairs after they got too old"
be concerned with
"I worry about my grades"
a burdensome sense of responsibility; trouble caused by onerous duties; anxiety; concern; solicitude
charge, oversight, or management, implying responsibility for safety and prosperity
attention or heed; caution; regard; heedfulness; watchfulness; as, take care; have a care
the object of watchful attention or anxiety
to be anxious or solicitous; to be concerned; to have regard or interest; -- sometimes followed by an objective of measure
Origin: [AS. cearian. See Care, n.]
CARE is a major international humanitarian agency delivering broad-spectrum emergency relief and long-term international development projects. Founded in 1945, CARE is nonsectarian, non-partisan, and non-governmental. It is one of the largest and oldest humanitarian aid organizations focused on fighting global poverty. In 2011, CARE reported working in 84 countries, supporting 1015 poverty-fighting projects, and reaching over 122 million people. CARE's programmes in the developing world address a broad range of topics including emergency response, food security, water and sanitation, economic development, climate change, agriculture, education, and health. CARE also advocates at the local, national, and international levels for policy change and the rights of poor people. Within each of these areas, CARE focuses particularly on empowering and meeting the needs of women and on promoting gender equality. CARE International is a confederation of twelve CARE National Members and two Affiliate Members, each of which is registered as an autonomous non-profit non-governmental organization in the country. The twelve CARE National Members are: CARE Australia, CARE Canada, CARE Danmark, CARE Deutschland-Luxembourg, CARE France, CARE International Japan, CARE Nederland, CARE Norge, CARE Österreich, Raks Thai Foundation, CARE International UK, and CARE USA. The two CARE Affiliate Members are CARE India and CARE Peru. Programs in developing countries are usually managed by a Country Office, but CARE also supports projects and may respond to emergencies in some countries where they do not maintain a full Country Office.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kār, n. anxiety, heedfulness: charge, oversight: the object of anxiety.—v.i. to be anxious: to be inclined: to have regard.—adjs. Care′-crazed (Shak.), crazed or broken with care and solicitude; Care′ful, full of care: heedful: (B.) anxious: (Spens.) dreadful.—adv. Care′fully.—n. Care′fulness.—adj. Care′less, without care: heedless, unconcerned.—ns. Care′lessness; Care′-tak′er, one put in charge of anything, esp. of an Irish farm from which a tenant has been evicted.—adj. Care′worn, worn or vexed with care.—Take care, to be careful or cautious; Take care of, to look after with care. [A.S. caru; Goth. kara, sorrow; Ice. kæra, to lament; Celt. car, care; allied to L. carus, dear.]
What does CARE stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the CARE acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'care' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #457
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'care' in Written Corpus Frequency: #842
Rank popularity for the word 'care' in Nouns Frequency: #187
Rank popularity for the word 'care' in Verbs Frequency: #266
The numerical value of care in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of care in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of care
Translations for care
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اهتم, عناية, رعايةArabic
- интересувам се, безпокоя се, грижи, грижа се, грижа, обичам, отговорностBulgarian
- compte, curaCatalan, Valencian
- pečovat, starat se, starat, péčeCzech
- kümmern, sorgen, Pflege, respektieren, pflegen, SorgeGerman
- έγνοια, ΦροντίδαGreek
- gustar, interesar, esmero, atención, cuidar, importar, cuidadoSpanish
- haluta, hoivatyö, hoiva-ala, välittää, hoitaa, hoiva, hoito, varovaisuus, huolehtia, piitata, huoli, maistua, hoitoala, huolellisuus, huosta, tahtoa, hoitotyöFinnish
- intéresser, soin, souci, soigner, soucier, soinsFrench
- miste, cúraimí, sníomh, cúram, aireIrish
- suim, aireScottish Gaelic
- óvatosság, törődik, ápolás, foglalkozik, érdekel, törődés, figyelemHungarian
- attenzione, curare, curaItalian
- 気にする, 気にかける, 構うJapanese
- curatura, cura, curo, curatio, curaeLatin
- gādīgums, rūpīgums, rūpe, rūpība, gādībaLatvian
- ശുശ്രൂഷ, ഉത്തരവാദിത്തം, ശ്രദ്ധMalayalam
- zorg, zorgenDutch
- pleie, forsiktighet, nennsomhet, omsorgNorwegian
- opieka, opiekować sięPolish
- cuidar de, preocupar-se, tratamento, atendimento, assistência, cuidado, importar-sePortuguese
- grijă, păsRomanian
- попече́ние, забо́титься, беспоко́иться, забо́та, присма́тривать, пригля́дывать, ухо́д, присмотре́ть, пригляде́ть, уха́живать, опе́каRussian
- omsorg, vårda, vård, bekymmer, ta hand om, sörja, bry, underhåll, omtankeSwedish
- pag-iingat, pakialamTagalog
- dikkat, bakmak, ilgilenmek, umrunda olmak, özenTurkish
Get even more translations for care »
Find a translation for the care definition in other languages:
Select another language: