payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment
bribe, corrupt, buy, grease one's palms(verb)
make illegal payments to in exchange for favors or influence
"This judge can be bought"
Something (usually money) given in exchange for influence or as an inducement to dishonesty.
To give a bribe to.
a gift begged; a present
a price, reward, gift, or favor bestowed or promised with a view to prevent the judgment or corrupt the conduct of a judge, witness, voter, or other person in a position of trust
that which seduces; seduction; allurement
to rob or steal
to give or promise a reward or consideration to (a judge, juror, legislator, voter, or other person in a position of trust) with a view to prevent the judgment or corrupt the conduct; to induce or influence by a bribe; to give a bribe to
to gain by a bribe; of induce as by a bribe
to commit robbery or theft
to give a bribe to a person; to pervert the judgment or corrupt the action of a person in a position of trust, by some gift or promise
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
brīb, n. something given to influence unduly the judgment or corrupt the conduct: allurement.—v.t. to influence by a bribe: to gain over.—v.i. to practise bribery.—ns. Brib′er, one who bribes; Brib′ery, the act of giving or taking bribes; Brib′ery-oath, an oath taken by an elector that he has not been bribed. [O. Fr. bribe, a lump of bread; origin dub.]
The numerical value of bribe in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of bribe in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It is implausible that I tried to bribe him for a number of reasons.
If I tell you the amount of the biggest bribe I have ever paid, you will have a heart attack.
South Africa did not pay any bribe nor did it illegally obtain the right to host the World Cup.
We will then get the answers from teachers and then bribe the exam supervisor to allow us to enter the hall with it.
I didn't think it was adequate. If he wants to bribe us, to bribe us with our own money comes a bit short of what is required.
Images & Illustrations of bribe
Translations for bribe
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رشوة, رشاArabic
- подкуп, подкупвам, рушветBulgarian
- úplatek, podplatit, uplatitCzech
- Bestechungsgeld, bestechen, schmieren, Schmiergeld, kaufenGerman
- δωροδοκία, δωροδοκώ, δωροληψίαGreek
- cohecho, soborno, coima, cohechar, alfadía, matraca, mordida, sobornarSpanish
- pistis, altkäemaksEstonian
- رشوه, رشوه دادنPersian
- lahjus, lahjoaFinnish
- pot-de-vin, soudoyer, corrompre, verserFrench
- לשחד, שוחדHebrew
- կաշառել, կաշառքArmenian
- sogokan, suap, menyuap, menyogokIndonesian
- offrire, tangenteItalian
- ქრთამი, ქრთამის მიცემაGeorgian
- kukulis, kukuļotLatvian
- moni whakapati, whakapati, koha whakapatiMāori
- omkopen, steekpenning, smeergeldDutch
- łapówka, dawać łapówkęPolish
- suborno, propina, subornarPortuguese
- взятка, подкуп, подкупать, давать взяткуRussian
- ми́то, míto, mítiti, podmititi, подмитити, potplátiti, митити, potkúpiti, поткупити, потплатитиSerbo-Croatian
- muta, dusörSwedish
- hongo, mlungula, chai, rushwaSwahili
- rüşvet vermek, rüşvetTurkish
- שמירן, שמיר, אונטערקויפֿןYiddish
Get even more translations for bribe »
Find a translation for the bribe definition in other languages:
Select another language: