constriction, bottleneck, chokepoint(noun)
a narrowing that reduces the flow through a channel
the narrow part of a bottle near the top
slow down or impede by creating an obstruction
"His laziness has bottlenecked our efforts to reform the system"
become narrow, like a bottleneck
"Right by the bridge, the road bottlenecks"
The narrow portion that forms the pouring spout of a bottle; the neck of a bottle.
In traffic, any narrowing of the road, especially resulting in a delay.
Any delay; part of a process that is too slow or cumbersome.
To slow by causing a bottleneck.
The merge bottlenecked the traffic every morning.
To form a bottleneck.
The traffic bottlenecked at the merge every morning.
A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. The term bottleneck is taken from the 'assets are water' metaphor. As water is poured out of a bottle, the rate of outflow is limited by the width of the conduit of exit—that is, bottleneck. By increasing the width of the bottleneck one can increase the rate at which the water flows out of the neck at different frequencies. Such limiting components of a system are sometimes referred to as bottleneck points.
The numerical value of bottleneck in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of bottleneck in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We just don't want to be a bottleneck.
It’s going to create a bottleneck, serbia does not have the capacity to deal with this.
There is no serious progress, no serious initiatives, or solution how to get out from the bottleneck.
There is just this bottleneck caused by OFAC's inability to respond quickly because of the flood of applications and inquiries.
If China's urbanization was growing at its planned rate there would not be any (housing) oversupply. The main bottleneck for China's urbanization is the issue of hukou.
Images & Illustrations of bottleneck
Translations for bottleneck
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- тар урын, шешә ауыҙыBashkir
- Flaschenhals, Engpass, EngstelleGerman
- cuello de botella, gollete, cuello, boquerón, garganta, embotellamientoSpanish
- pullonkaula, ruuhkautua, ruuhkauttaaFinnish
- tête de bouteille, goulot, goulet d’étranglement, goulot de bouteilleFrench
- scrogall buidéil, caolas tráchta, scrogall, bac, scrogall tráchtaIrish
- ボトルネック, 瓶の首, ネック, 隘路Japanese
- cerutan, kejejalanMalay
- flaskehalsNorwegian Nynorsk
- [[горлышко]] [[бутылка, горлышко, пробка, дефиле, затор, [[узкий, сужение, [[узкий ]] [[проход]]Russian
- грлић, usko grlo, suženje, grlić, уско грло, сужењеSerbo-Croatian
- вузьке місцеUkrainian
Get even more translations for bottleneck »
Find a translation for the bottleneck definition in other languages:
Select another language: