delighting the senses or exciting intellectual or emotional admiration
"a beautiful child"; "beautiful country"; "a beautiful painting"; "a beautiful theory"; "a beautiful party"
(of weather) highly enjoyable
"what a beautiful day"
Attractive and possessing charm.
It's beautiful outside, let's go for a walk.
The skater performed a beautiful axel.
(as a pro-sentence) How beautiful that is!
Beautiful! What a catch! (referring to an athlete catching a ball)
(as a pro-sentence; ironic) How unfortunate that is!
Beautiful! I dropped the soup on the floor!
Origin: (1520) From beauty + -ful. Displaced earlier sheen "beautiful" (from schene, from sciene), wliti, from wlitig.
having the qualities which constitute beauty; pleasing to the sight or the mind
"Beautiful" is a song recorded by American recording artist Christina Aguilera, taken from her fourth studio album Stripped. It was written and produced solely by Linda Perry. Following the release of "Dirrty" in September 2002, which failed to gain chart success in the United States, RCA Records released the song to contemporary hit and rhythmic radio in the United States on November 16, 2002, as the album's second single. At first, Linda Perry wanted to keep "Beautiful" for her own career, but later gave it to Aguilera after hearing Aguilera's performance of the track. The song is a piano-driven pop ballad which tells the story of a woman who suffers from low self-esteem and insecurities, and encourages individuals not to let outside opinions affect their confidence. Upon its release, "Beautiful" received generally acclaim from music critics, who praised her vocals on the song and considered it an outstanding track on Stripped as well as ranking the single among Aguilera's strongest materials. It won a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the 2004 ceremony, and was also nominated for Song of the Year there. By late 2009, "Beautiful" was honored to be one of the greatest pop songs of the 2000s by Rolling Stone and VH1. Commercially, the single was a major hit, peaking at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and has been certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America, having sold estimately 1.2 million copies there alone as of September 2012. The single also gained commercial success around the world, peaking at number one on the singles chart of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, as well as achieving certifications in Australia and New Zealand.
An adjective used to describe a person who has a number of attribute or qualities that bring joy to your heart and soul.
Our children and grandchildren are beautiful to us as they bring us so much joy to our heart and soul, we feel so blessed and grateful.
An adjective used to describe a piece of construction, element of nature, feature, item or similar thing that causes you to appreciate the creators of it, the ability, skill and talent they used to create, design and build it.
There are some famous landmarks in each city across the world that are beautiful and bring joy to the residents, tourists and visitors, we are blessed to see the pictures or have an opportunity to visit these cities.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'beautiful' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1213
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'beautiful' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1072
Rank popularity for the word 'beautiful' in Adjectives Frequency: #143
The numerical value of beautiful in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of beautiful in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It should be beautiful.
It is a beautiful sight.
What a beautiful morning.
Real is the new beautiful
Life is simple and beautiful.
Images & Illustrations of beautiful
Translations for beautiful
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- جَمِيل, جميلةArabic
- qəşəng, гәшәнҝAzerbaijani
- выда́тны, прыго́жыBelarusian
- прекра́сен, хубав, краси́вBulgarian
- kaer, bravBreton
- formós, bonica, bell, bella, formósa, bonicCatalan, Valencian
- krásný, pěknýCzech
- красьнъOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- hardd, prydferthWelsh
- smuk, smukkeDanish
- schön, toll, heiter, schGerman
- ωραίος, όμορφοςGreek
- hermosa, bello, guapo, alegre, guapa, bravo, bonita, bueno, linda, despejado, bonito, hermosoSpanish
- kaunis, ilusEstonian
- قشنگ, زیبا, خوشگلPersian
- kaunis, loistavaFinnish
- vakur, penur, fagurFaroese
- beau, belleFrench
- moai, kreasWestern Frisian
- spéiriúil, álainnIrish
- bòidheach, grinn, sgèimheach, àlainn, brèagha, fèilleil, maiseach, rìomhachScottish Gaelic
- יָפֶה, יָפָה, נאהHebrew
- सुन्दर, ख़ूबसूरत, सुंदरHindi
- szép, gyönyörűHungarian
- սիրուն, հաճելի, գեղեցիկArmenian
- indah, ayu, molek, cantik, cakepIndonesian
- fallegur, fagurIcelandic
- bello, bellaItalian
- 美しい, 綺麗, 素敵, Japanese
- ლამაზი, მშვენიერიGeorgian
- әдемі, әсемKazakh
- ស្អាត, ល្អKhmer
- 아름답다, 아름다운Korean
- ئێسک سووک, خۆش, جوان, فێنکKurdish
- укмуштай, көйүткөн, кооз, чырай жүздүү, сулуу, ажайып, көркөм, сонун, чырайлууKyrgyz
- pulcher, bellus, formosus, decorusLatin
- sjoenLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- daiļš, glīts, skaistsLatvian
- убав, прекрасен, убавоMacedonian
- indah, cantik, molekMalay
- လှသော, လှပBurmese
- schoon, mooiDutch
- nizhóní, nizhóní yeeʼNavajo, Navaho
- bèla, bèu, bèlOccitan
- ਸੁਹਣੀ, ਸੁਹਣਾPanjabi, Punjabi
- bela, lindo, linda, bonito, bonita, limpo, beloPortuguese
- bel, bella, biala, biRomansh
- frumos, frumoasăRomanian
- краси́вый, прекра́сный, ле́пый, приго́жий, красивыйRussian
- सुरूप, सुन्दरSanskrit
- bedhu, bedha, bellu, bellaSardinian
- lijep, леп, lep, лијепSerbo-Croatian
- සුන්දර, ලස්සනSinhala, Sinhalese
- pekný, krásnySlovak
- vacker, fint, fin, vackertSwedish
- అందమైన, ఆహ్లాదకరమైన, అందమైనTelugu
- зебо, хушрӯTajik
- สุนทร, สวย, งามThai
- gözel, gelşikli, görmegeýTurkmen
- гүзәл, матурTatar
- краси́вий, вродли́вий, га́рнийUkrainian
- خوبصورت, سندرUrdu
- yoqimli, goʻzalUzbek
- tốt đẹp, đẹp, đẹp đẽ, tốt, xinh đẹpVietnamese
- jönik, lejönikVolapük
- bele, beaWalloon
Get even more translations for beautiful »
Find a translation for the beautiful definition in other languages:
Select another language: