affray, altercation, fracas(noun)
Warm contention in words; dispute carried on with heat or anger; controversy; wrangle; wordy contest.
Origin: From altercation, from altercatio.
warm contention in words; dispute carried on with heat or anger; controversy; wrangle; wordy contest
The numerical value of altercation in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of altercation in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There was an altercation of some kind.
There was an altercation and shots were exchanged.
I could see [an altercation] brewing up, that’s the reason I got my phone out, ready to film it.
It started with girls just talking about her, to exchanging words back and forth, to actually the physical altercation.
I was nothing more than a witness that day, i heard gunshots and saw a verbal altercation but beyond that, I was just there.
Images & Illustrations of altercation
Translations for altercation
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- disputa, altercadoSpanish
- sanasota, tappelu, riita, jupakka, kiistaFinnish
- dispute, altercationFrench
- deila, orðasenna, orðakast, orðaskak, bræta, orðahnippingar, rifrildiIcelandic
- diatriba, discussione, disputa, alterco, litigio, diverbioItalian
- woordenwisseling, dispuutDutch
- ссо́ра, разбо́рка, ди́спут, перебра́нка, спорRussian
- verbalni, nesporazum, sukob, sporSerbo-Croatian
- gräl, ordväxlingSwedish
Get even more translations for altercation »
Find a translation for the altercation definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these altercation definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"altercation." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 21 Feb. 2018. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/altercation>.