the astonishment you feel when something totally unexpected happens to you
a sudden unexpected event
the act of surprising someone
cause to be surprised
"The news really surprised me"
come upon or take unawares
"She surprised the couple"; "He surprised an interesting scene"
attack by storm; attack suddenly
Something not expected.
It was a surprise to find out I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
The surprise attack was devastating.
The feeling that something unexpected has happened.
Imagine my surprise on learning I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
To cause (someone) to feel unusually alarmed or delighted.
It surprises me that I owe twice as much as I thought I did.
To do something to (a person) that they are not expecting, as a surprise.
He doesn't know that I'm in the country - I thought I'd turn up at his house and surprise him.
To undergo or witness something unexpected.
He doesn't surprise easily.
To cause surprise.
To attack unexpectedly.
To take unawares.
the act of coming upon, or taking, unawares; the act of seizing unexpectedly; surprisal; as, the fort was taken by surprise
the state of being surprised, or taken unawares, by some act or event which could not reasonably be foreseen; emotion excited by what is sudden and strange; a suddenly excited feeling of wonder or astonishment
anything that causes such a state or emotion
a dish covered with a crust of raised paste, but with no other contents
to come or fall suddenly and unexpectedly; to take unawares; to seize or capture by unexpected attack
to strike with wonder, astonishment, or confusion, by something sudden, unexpected, or remarkable; to confound; as, his conduct surprised me
to lead (one) to do suddenly and without forethought; to bring (one) into some unexpected state; -- with into; as, to be surprised into an indiscretion; to be surprised into generosity
to hold possession of; to hold
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
sur-prīz′, n. act of taking unawares: the emotion caused by anything sudden: amazement.—v.t. to come upon suddenly or unawares: to lead or bring unawares, to betray (with into): to strike with wonder or astonishment: to confuse.—n. Surprīs′al, act of surprising.—adv. Surprīs′edly.—adj. Surprīs′ing, exciting surprise: wonderful: unexpected.—adv. Surprīs′ingly.—n. Surprīs′ingness. [Fr.,—surpris, pa.p. of surprendre—L. super, over, prehendĕre, to catch.]
To bring, give or receive something joyful or something that you enjoy or need.
My sister loves our family so as a surprise we arranged a trip to see her as we hadn't visited her home in a long time and she has always come to visit her so we thought it was time to pay her a visit.Submitted by MC Harmonious on April 16, 2016
The surprise symbol -- In this Symbols.com article you will learn about the meaning of the surprise symbol and its characteristic.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SURPRISE' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2153
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'SURPRISE' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3235
Rank popularity for the word 'SURPRISE' in Nouns Frequency: #903
Rank popularity for the word 'SURPRISE' in Verbs Frequency: #894
The numerical value of SURPRISE in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of SURPRISE in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of SURPRISE in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of SURPRISE
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for SURPRISE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دهشة, فاجأ, دَهْشة, باغت, مُفاجَأَة, دهشArabic
- sorpresa, sorprendreCatalan, Valencian
- překvapení, překvapitCzech
- overraskelse, overraskeDanish
- Überraschung, überraschenGerman
- έκπληξη, αιφνιδιάζω, ξάφνιασμα, εκπλήσσω, [[κάνω]] [[έκπληξη]], ξαφνικός, ξαφνιάζω, αιφνίδιοςGreek
- surprizo, surpriziEsperanto
- sorpresa, sorprenderSpanish
- تعجب ساختن, تعجب, سورپریزPersian
- yllättää, yllätys, hämmästys, hämmästyttääFinnish
- surprendre, étonner, surpriseFrench
- iongnadhScottish Gaelic
- sorpresa, sorprenderGalician
- meglepetés, meglep, váratlan, meglepetésszerű, ámulat, megdöbbenésHungarian
- անակնկալ, անակնկալի բերել, զարմանք, զարմացնելArmenian
- sorprendere, meravigliare, sorpresa, stupireItalian
- 驚き, 驚かすJapanese
- 놀라게 하다, 놀람Korean
- IwwerraschungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ninihi, komutuMāori
- kejutan, mengejutMalay
- verrassing, verrassen, verbazing, verbazenDutch
- overraskingNorwegian Nynorsk
- overraskning, overraskelse, overraske, overraskelses-Norwegian
- zaskakiwać, niespodzianka, dziwićPolish
- surpreender, surpresaPortuguese
- surpriză, surprinde, surprindereRomanian
- неожиданность, сюрприз, удивлять, удивить, удивлениеRussian
- presenečenje, presenetitiSlovene
- förvåning, överraskning, överraskaSwedish
- sürpriz yapmak, şaşırtmak, sürprizTurkish
- ewaermint, sbarmintWalloon
Get even more translations for SURPRISE »
Find a translation for the SURPRISE definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)