mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slack(noun)
a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
A swampy, soggy area of ground.
That quagmire regularly 'swallows' caught-up hikers' boots
A perilous, mixed up and troubled situation; a hopeless tangle; a predicament.
soft, wet, miry land, which shakes or yields under the feet
Quagmire is a fictional character, owned by Marvel Comics who is a native of the universe of the Squadron Supreme. He first appeared in Squadron Supreme #4 in flashback, and fully in Squadron Supreme #5, and was created by Mark Gruenwald.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
kwag′mīr, n. wet, boggy ground that yields under the feet.—v.t. to entangle, as in a quagmire.—adj. Quag′miry. [Quake and mire.]
The numerical value of Quagmire in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of Quagmire in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I predict you will sink step by step into a bottomless quagmire, however much you spend in men and money. (On Vietnam War)
An attempt by Russia and Iran to prop up Assad and try to pacify the population is just going to get them stuck in a quagmire and it won't work.
[A]n attempt byRussia and Iran to prop up Assad and try to pacify the population is just going to get them stuck in a quagmire. And it won’t work.
Like so many others, I was completely captivated by Bana's tweets from Syria, which were harrowing and heartbreaking and put a human face to this terrible quagmire.
I do not think we need to send in large numbers of troops because it has quagmire written all over it, i know our guys are attacking the heads of (ISIS) and getting the intelligence that we need.
Images & Illustrations of Quagmire
Translations for Quagmire
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- дрыгва, балота, багнаBelarusian
- močál, bažina, třasoviskoCzech
- блатоOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- hængedynd, dynd, sumpDanish
- Sumpf, ZwickmühleGerman
- βάλτος, τέλμαGreek
- ciénaga, dilema, pantano, barrizal, apuro, cenagal, tremedalSpanish
- باتلاق, خلابPersian
- kiipeli, hete, syöverit, hetteikkö, sokkelo, jorpakkoFinnish
- bourbier, marécage, maraisFrench
- boglachScottish Gaelic
- 沼地, ぬかるみ, 苦境, 湿地, 窮地Japanese
- powharu, wharuMāori
- moeras, drijfzandDutch
- sump, myr, kvikksand, hengemyrNorwegian
- bagno, trzęsawiskoPolish
- трясина, топь, болотоRussian
- blato, živi pijesak, блатоSerbo-Croatian
- gungfly, moras, träsk, sumpmarkSwedish
- болото, трясовинаUkrainian
- wachisse, bourbî, maraexheWalloon
Get even more translations for Quagmire »
Find a translation for the Quagmire definition in other languages:
Select another language: