pharmacist, druggist, chemist, apothecary, pill pusher, pill roller(noun)
a health professional trained in the art of preparing and dispensing drugs
A professional who dispenses prescription drugs in a hospital or retail pharmacy.
One who studies pharmacy.
one skilled in pharmacy; a pharmaceutist; a druggist
Pharmacists, also known as druggists or chemists, are healthcare professionals who practice in pharmacy, the field of health sciences focusing on safe and effective medication use. The role of the pharmacist has shifted from the classical "lick, stick, and pour" dispensary role, to being an integrated member of the health care team directly involved in patient care. Pharmacists undergo university-level education to understand biochemical mechanisms of action of drugs, drug uses and therapeutic roles, side effects, potential drug interactions, and monitoring parameters. This is mated to education in anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Professional interpretation and communication of this specialized knowledge to patients, physicians, and other health care providers are functions which pharmacists provide, and are central to the provision of safe and effective drug therapy. Among other licensing requirements, different countries require pharmacists to hold either a Bachelor of Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree. The most common pharmacist positions are that of a community pharmacist, or a hospital pharmacist, where they instruct and counsel on the proper use and adverse effects of medically prescribed drugs and medicines. In most countries, the profession is subject to professional regulation. Depending on the legal scope of practice, pharmacists may contribute to prescribing and administering certain medications in some jurisdictions. Pharmacists may also practice in a variety of other settings, including industry, wholesaling, research, academia, military, and government.
The numerical value of Pharmacist in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of Pharmacist in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We’re like a pharmacist, where people come to us, we reach out to people and figure out what is needed, in some projects we may have a lot of involvement and in some we have very little involvement.
Many medicines have this activity, and I think the key things from our finding is that it probably shifts the balance looking at risks versus benefits, but patients, don't suddenly stop medications. Carry on as usual, and if you're concerned, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Shulkin may not be a veteran, but he does come from a military family. He was born on a military base in Illinois and his father was an Army physiatrist, according to the Military Times. Both of his grandfathers served during World War I, one of whom was also the chief pharmacist at the VA in Madison, Wisconsin. Hailing from a military family has sensitized me to the psychological and medical needs of those who served our country.
Images & Illustrations of Pharmacist
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Pharmacist
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- аптэ́карка, фармацэ́ўт, аптэ́карBelarusian
- фармаце́вт, аптекарBulgarian
- farmacèuticCatalan, Valencian
- farmaceut, lékárníkCzech
- farmaceut, farmakonom, apotekerDanish
- Pharmazeutin, Pharmazeut, Apothekerin, ApothekerGerman
- apoticario, farmacéutico, boticario, farmacéuticaSpanish
- داروساز, داروگرPersian
- opiskelija, farmasian, farmaseutti, apteekkari, proviisoriFinnish
- apothicaire, pharmacien, pharmacienneFrench
- apotekerWestern Frisian
- poitigéir, cógaiseoirIrish
- patikus, gyógyszerészHungarian
- lyfsali, apótekariIcelandic
- vaistininkė, vaistininkasLithuanian
- фармаце́вт, аптека́рMacedonian
- apoteker, farmasøytNorwegian
- apotekar, farmasøytNorwegian Nynorsk
- farmaceutka, aptekarka, farmaceuta, aptekarzPolish
- фармаце́вт, апте́карша, апте́карьRussian
- apotekar, апотекарSerbo-Croatian
- lekárnik, farmaceutSlovak
- lekarnar, lekarnarkaSlovene
- апте́карка, апте́карUkrainian
- pötekan, hidrogan, jipötekan, jidrogan, drogan, hipötekanVolapük
Get even more translations for Pharmacist »
Find a translation for the Pharmacist definition in other languages:
Select another language: