public house, pub, saloon, pothouse, gin mill, taphouse(noun)
tavern consisting of a building with a bar and public rooms; often provides light meals
A retail business where alcoholic beverages are sold by the drink; a bar; a tavern.
Origin: [Shortened from Public house.]
PUB is one of the major department stores in Stockholm, Sweden, located in two buildings at Hötorget, Stockholm city center. PUB was opened in 1882 and rapidly expanded. The name PUB is for the initials of Paul Urbanus Bergström, the founder of the store, who owned a great deal of buildings and business in the area. In the late 20th century, the upper 4 storeys of the department store were converted into a hotel: the Rica Hotel, Kungsgatan.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
pub, n. (slang) a public-house, tavern.
What does PUB stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the PUB acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'PUB' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2899
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'PUB' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1467
Rank popularity for the word 'PUB' in Nouns Frequency: #902
The numerical value of PUB in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of PUB in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We have a lot of talking to do, i do not want her to just know how to order pints in a pub.
A pub for us is about inclusivity and respect for all, that's what we love about Irish pubs.
It was the culmination of probably too many drinks in the pub where there was a conversation about names.
The thing that an Irish pub offers better than anybody is the welcome, we've taken the best elements of back home and built them into the Dead Rabbit.
I realized that nobody really knew that much about politics until the independence debate -- and that's across the whole spectrum of the people I meet in the pub.
Images & Illustrations of PUB
Translations for PUB
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مشرب, خمارة, حانة, خانةArabic
- карчма, тракцір, бар, піўная, пабBelarusian
- пивница, кръчмаBulgarian
- bar, tavernaCatalan, Valencian
- hostinec, hospoda, krčmaCzech
- Kneipe, Lokal, BarGerman
- παμπ, καπηλειόGreek
- pub, taberna, barSpanish
- trahter, kõrts, pubiEstonian
- pubi, kapakka, krouviFinnish
- bar, pub, estaminetFrench
- teach tábhairneIrish
- taigh-seinnseScottish Gaelic
- पब, सरायHindi
- kocsma, korcsmaHungarian
- գինետուն, պանդոկ, փաբArmenian
- taverna, café, pubInterlingua
- osteria, pubItalian
- バー, パブ, 居酒屋Japanese
- baras, smuklėLithuanian
- паб, крчмаMacedonian
- pub, kroNorwegian
- knajpa, piwiarnia, gospodaPolish
- cervejaria, taberna, barPortuguese
- кабак, паб, пивнушка, таверна, корчма, пивная, трактир, барRussian
- пивница, krčma, крчма, pivnicaSerbo-Croatian
- krčma, hostinecSlovak
- pub, krogSwedish
- ร้านสุรา, ร้านเหล้า, ผับThai
- birahane, meyhaneTurkish
- трактир, бар, кнайпа, паб, пивна, шинок, пивниця, корчмаUkrainian
- quán rượu, tiệm rượuVietnamese
Get even more translations for PUB »
Find a translation for the PUB definition in other languages:
Select another language: