highway, main road(noun)
a major road for any form of motor transport
A main, direct public road, especially a multi-lane, high speed thoroughfare connecting major population centers.
Any public road for vehicular traffic.
Origin: From heiȝwai, heiȝwei, from heahweg, corresponding to :
a road or way open to the use of the public; a main road or thoroughfare
A highway is any public road or other public way on land; the term exists in distinction to waterway. In North American and Australian English, the term frequently implies a major road such as a controlled-access highway or an arterial, generally under the control of a state or provincial agency instead of a local road authority. In British English, highway is primarily a legal term, and normal usage implies roads, while legal usage covers any route or path with a public right of access, including footpaths etc. The term has led to several related derived terms, including highway system, highway code, and highway patrol.
Song lyrics by highway -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by highway on the Lyrics.com website.
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'HIGHWAY' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4352
Rank popularity for the word 'HIGHWAY' in Nouns Frequency: #2406
The numerical value of HIGHWAY in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of HIGHWAY in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The best path through life is the highway.
My way or the highway doesn't work in life.
The dumbass is standing in the middle of the highway.
On highway half a mile south of Fisk, rock your wings.
Instead of the information highway, what we have is the turnpike.
Images & Illustrations of HIGHWAY
Translations for HIGHWAY
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- طريق عام, طريق, الطريق السريعArabic
- автострада, автомагистралаBulgarian
- valtatie, päätieFinnish
- grande routeFrench
- mórbhealach, mórbhótharIrish
- כְּבִיש מַהִיר, אוטוסטרדהHebrew
- autópálya, országútHungarian
- hraðbraut, þjóðvegurIcelandic
- via maestra, strada maestra, autostradaItalian
- 公道, 公路, 街道Japanese
- SchnellstrossenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- huanui, huarahiMāori
- jalan raya, lebuh rayaMalay
- autostrade, snelweg, autosnelwegDutch
- motorvei, motorvegNorwegian
- autostradă, șoseaRomanian
- шоссе, магистраль, автострадаRussian
- anayol, otoyol, otobanTurkish
- cwate-bindes, grand-rote, mwaisse voyeWalloon
Get even more translations for HIGHWAY »
Find a translation for the HIGHWAY definition in other languages:
Select another language: