appreciation, grasp, hold(noun)
understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something
"he has a good grasp of accounting practices"
compass, range, reach, grasp(noun)
the limit of capability
"within the compass of education"
an intellectual hold or understanding
"a good grip on French history"; "they kept a firm grip on the two top priorities"; "he was in the grip of a powerful emotion"; "a terrible power had her in its grasp"
clasp, clench, clutch, clutches, grasp, grip, hold(verb)
the act of grasping
"he released his clasp on my arm"; "he has a strong grip for an old man"; "she kept a firm hold on the railing"
grasp, hold on(verb)
grok, get the picture, comprehend, savvy, dig, grasp, compass, apprehend(verb)
get the meaning of something
"Do you comprehend the meaning of this letter?"
that which is accessible; that which is within one's reach or ability
The goal is within my grasp.
To grip; to take hold, particularly with the hand.
Origin: Originally "to feel around", possibly metathesis of græpsan "to touch, feel," from Proto-Germanic *graipison.
to seize and hold by clasping or embracing with the fingers or arms; to catch to take possession of
to lay hold of with the mind; to become thoroughly acquainted or conversant with; to comprehend
to effect a grasp; to make the motion of grasping; to clutch; to struggle; to strive
a gripe or seizure of the hand; a seizure by embrace, or infolding in the arms
reach of the arms; hence, the power of seizing and holding; as, it was beyond his grasp
forcible possession; hold
wide-reaching power of intellect to comprehend subjects and hold them under survey
the handle of a sword or of an oar
Origin: [OE. graspen; prob. akin to LG. grupsen, or to E. grope. Cf. Grab, Grope.]
GRASP is a well known SAT instance solver. It was developed by João Marques Silva, a Portuguese computer science researcher. It stands for Generic seaRch Algorithm for the Satisfiability Problem.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
grasp, v.t. to seize and hold by clasping with the fingers or arms: to catch at: to comprehend.—v.i. to endeavour to seize: to catch (with at).—n. gripe of the hand: reach of the arms: power of seizing: mental power of apprehension.—adj. Grasp′able.—n. Grasp′er.—p.adj. Grasp′ing, seizing: avaricious: encroaching.—adv. Grasp′ingly.—n. Grasp′ingness.—adj. Grasp′less, feeble, relaxed. [M. E. graspen—grapsen, as clasp—M. E. claspen; allied to grope, grapple.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'GRASP' in Verbs Frequency: #803
The numerical value of GRASP in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of GRASP in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
How can finite grasp infinity
Grasp the subject, the words will follow.
When she is in your grasp, but you can never get her
Just replaying it in my head it's still kind of hard to grasp.
The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp.
Images & Illustrations of GRASP
Translations for GRASP
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قبضة, يفهم، يمسك، يقبArabic
- comprendreCatalan, Valencian
- uchopení, porozumění, stisknout, sevření, uchopit, pochopitCzech
- gribe, begribeDanish
- erfassen, greifen, verstehen, Griff, begreifen, VerständnisGerman
- asimiento, agarrar, asir, comprensión, comprenderSpanish
- käsillä, puristaa, tajuta, ote, käsitys, taju, tarttua, käsissä, käsittää, ymmärrysFinnish
- agripper, saisir, comprendreFrench
- glacadhScottish Gaelic
- תפיסה, הבנה, לפיתהHebrew
- átérez, felfogHungarian
- comprendere, stretta, comprensione, avvinghiarsi, agguantare, afferrare, capire, presa, padronanza, avvinghiareItalian
- sumo, teneoLatin
- begrijpen, begrip, grijpen, vastpakken, snappen, gripDutch
- uchwyt, pojęcie, trzymać, chwytać, rozumienie, zrozumienie, rozumieć, pojmowaćPolish
- agarrar, compreensão, entender, compreender, alcancePortuguese
- понимать, понять, хватать, схватывать, схватитьRussian
- fatta, greppa, begripa, begrepp, förståelse, räckhåll, grepp, gripaSwedish
- గ్రహించు, ఆకళింపు చేసుకొను, పట్టుకొనుTelugu
Get even more translations for GRASP »
Find a translation for the GRASP definition in other languages:
Select another language: