floating-point operation, flop(noun)
an arithmetic operation performed on floating-point numbers
"this computer can perform a million flops per second"
flop, dud, washout(noun)
someone who is unsuccessful
flop, bust, fizzle(noun)
a complete failure
"the play was a dismal flop"
the act of throwing yourself down
"he landed on the bed with a great flop"
"He flopped into a chair"
fall suddenly and abruptly
fall through, fall flat, founder, flop(adverb)
fail utterly; collapse
"The project foundered"
with a flopping sound
"he tumbled flop into the mud"
"he fell flop on his face"
to clap or strike, as a bird its wings, a fish its tail, etc.; to flap
to turn suddenly, as something broad and flat
to strike about with something broad abd flat, as a fish with its tail, or a bird with its wings; to rise and fall; as, the brim of a hat flops
to fall, sink, or throw one's self, heavily, clumsily, and unexpectedly on the ground
act of flopping
Origin: [A variant of flap.]
Flop was an early-1990s pop punk band from Seattle, Washington. The band formed in 1990, released recordings on the Frontier and Sony 550 record labels, and made a brief appearance in Doug Pray's motion picture documentary Hype!.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
flop, v.t. to cause to hang down.—v.i. to plump down suddenly: to break down.—n. a fall plump on the ground.—adv. Flop′pily.—n. Flop′piness.—adj. Flop′py. [A form of flap.]
The numerical value of FLOP in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of FLOP in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
She was walking by herself and she had on one flip flop and one tennis shoe.
This is not a flip flop, this is consistent with the position he held earlier in the campaign.
The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of non-violence has been the organization of violence.
Abe's speech sparked speculation that he won't be sitting idly to let the economy flop. Investors thought there will be a rebooting of Abenomics.
I think he can get past it assuming he can write it off as poor articulation of the views, if it is actually viewed as a flip-flop, then it becomes an issue.
Images & Illustrations of FLOP
Translations for FLOP
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- провал, просвам сеBulgarian
- zhroutit, propadnoutCzech
- versagen, plumpsen, Misserfolg, Flop, hinplumpsenGerman
- fracasar, desplomarseSpanish
- flopata, lysähtää, romahtaa, läjä, läsähtää, floppi, lyyhistyäFinnish
- faire un four, fiasco, four, faire un flop, être un fiasco, faire un bide, s'effondrer, flop, bideFrench
- sacco di letame, fallire, fallimento, fare fiasco, crollare, sacco di merda, insuccesso, mancare il traguardo, fare un buco nell'acqua, fiascoItalian
- drol, afgaan, sof, fiasco, neerzijgen, inzakken, neerploffen, afgang, instorten, floppen, sisser, mislukking, neervallenDutch
- niewypał, klapaPolish
- провалиться, плюхаться, неудача, провал, потерпеть неудачу, плюхнуться, фиаскоRussian
- flopp, fiaskoSwedish
Get even more translations for FLOP »
Find a translation for the FLOP definition in other languages:
Select another language: