transfer a file or program from a central computer to a smaller computer or to a computer at a remote location
A file transfer to the local computer, especially one in progress.
The download took longer than I expected.
A file that has been, or will be transferred in this way.
I got the download but it wouldn't work on my computer.
To transfer (computer data, especially as one or more files) from a remote computer (server) to a local computer, usually via a network.
You can download a trial version of the program for thirty days to determine whether you want to purchase the full version.
upload; to copy a file from a local computer to a remote computer via a network.
to transfer a file to or from removable media.
I needed to download photos to a CD-ROM
to install software.
Download is a Canadian electronic music group formed by Dwayne Goettel and cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy in 1994. The initial lineup also included Off & Gone's Phil Western and Mark Spybey of Dead Voices on Air, but has since been particularly fluid, with Key and Western being the only constant members following Goettel's death. Download's music has been described as post-industrial, drawing from the band's genesis as part of Skinny Puppy but also sharing common stylistic ground with such artists as Aphex Twin and Autechre. The primary instrumentation common throughout their albums is a blend of synthesizers and sampled instruments; the music is particularly centered on elements of percussion and rhythm. Other artists that have been involved are Genesis P. Orridge, Anthony Valcic, Bill Van Rooy, and Ken Marshall. Earlier releases frequently included vocal elements and lyrics, but since III their work has been strictly instrumental.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
To transfer data or (esp.) code from a far-away system (especially a larger host system) over a digital communications link to a nearby system (especially a smaller client system. Oppose upload.Historical use of these terms was at one time associated with transfers from large timesharing machines to PCs or peripherals (download) and vice-versa (upload). The modern usage relative to the speaker (rather than as an indicator of the size and role of the machines) evolved as machine categories lost most of their former functional importance.
To transfer an app, software or file from one location to another.
They did download the app that gave the power to use their emails on their phone.Submitted by MaryC on February 24, 2020
Song lyrics by download -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by download on the Lyrics.com website.
The numerical value of Download in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of Download in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Examples of Download in a Sentence
Just look at the illegal download of television shows and movies, millions of copies have been downloaded and the government has been unable to stop it. Why would the government be successful in stopping other information like these files from being downloaded?
I think it's safe to say that there are 30 end-to-end encrypted software packages that you can download for free. And, given the fact that between iTunes and PlayStation, the number of apps that are added on a weekly and monthly, yearly basis, and I think we anticipate that everything from this point forward will have an encrypted communications to it, now's the time for us to act.
Today, we are making a big leap forward in terms of focusing attention on prevention - were announcing the nations first comprehensive early alert system for earthquakes, were announcing the ability for millions and millions of Californians to download an app, MyShake... if millions of people do that, we will have points of contact, the ability to crowdsource information, the likes of which no country in the world has advanced.
After you download the app, as soon as you get on campus it can recognize if you’re in an academic building. You open up the app and lock your phone to start earning these pocket points, as soon as you’re out of class, you unlock your phone and redeem the points.
The fact that you can affect the infrastructure with stuff you can download off the Internet shouldn't give us any comfort.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Download
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- نزل, داونلود, تحميل, تنزيل, حملArabic
- ডাউনলোড, ডাউনলোড করাBengali
- descàrrega, baixarCatalan, Valencian
- stažení, stáhnoutCzech
- lawrlwytho, llwytho i lawr, lawrlwythiadWelsh
- downloade, nedlagreDanish
- Download, herunterladen, downloadenGerman
- κατεβάζω, καταφόρτωσηGreek
- descarga, transferencia directa, descargar, bajarSpanish
- tõmbama, alla laadimaEstonian
- بارگیری, دانلودPersian
- lataus, ladata, imuttaa, imurointi, imuroidaFinnish
- télécharger, téléchargementFrench
- íoslódáil, lódáil anuasIrish
- luchdaich a-nuasScottish Gaelic
- descarga, descargar, baixarGalician
- הורדה, הורידHebrew
- letölt, letöltésHungarian
- unduh, donlod, sedotIndonesian
- niðurhala, hlaða niður, niðurhalIcelandic
- scaricamento, download, scaricareItalian
- ダウンロード, ダウンロードするJapanese
- ჩამოტვირთვა, გადმოტვირთვა, გადმოწერა, ჩამოქაჩვა, გადმოქაჩვაGeorgian
- 내려받기, 다운로드Korean
- iskarga, iskargCornish
- downloaden, roflueden, erofsuckelen, Download, erofluedenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- симнува, преземање, презема, симнувањеMacedonian
- muat turunMalay
- binnenhalen, afladen, binnenladen, download, downloadenDutch
- lasta ned, nedlastaNorwegian Nynorsk
- nedlastning, laste ned, nedlasteNorwegian
- ściągać, ściągnąćPolish
- descarregar, descarregamento, baixar, [[fazer]] [[download]], downloadPortuguese
- descărcare, descărcaRomanian
- скачка, скачивание, скачать, скачивать, качатьRussian
- preuzimanje, skidanje, skinuti, preuzetiSerbo-Croatian
- nedladdning, ta hem, tanka, plocka hem, tanka hem, dra ner, ladda ner, tanka ner, nerladdning, dra hem, ladda hemSwedish
- چۈشۈرمەكUyghur, Uighur
- ڈاؤن لوڈUrdu
- tải xuống, truyền xuống, nạp xuống, viễn nạpVietnamese
Get even more translations for Download »
Find a translation for the Download definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)