(Roman mythology) god of love; counterpart of Greek Eros
a symbol for love in the form of a cherubic naked boy with wings and a bow and arrow
The god of love, son of Venus; usually depicted as a naked, winged boy with bow and arrow.
Etymology: Cupido, from cupido desire, desire of love, from cupidus.
a putto carrying a bow and arrow, representing Cupid or love
Etymology: Cupido, from cupido desire, desire of love, from cupidus.
the god of love, son of Venus; usually represented as a naked, winged boy with bow and arrow
Etymology: [L.Cupido, fr. cupido desire, desire of love, fr. cupidus. See Cupidity.]
In classical mythology, Cupid is the god of desire, erotic love, attraction and affection. He is often portrayed as the son of the love goddess Venus, and is known in Latin also as Amor. His Greek counterpart is Eros. Although Eros appears in Classical Greek art as a slender winged youth, during the Hellenistic period he was increasingly portrayed as a chubby boy. During this time, his iconography acquired the bow and arrow that represent his source of power: a person, or even a deity, who is shot by Cupid's arrow is filled with uncontrollable desire. In myths, Cupid is a minor character who serves mostly to set the plot in motion. He is a main character only in the tale of Cupid and Psyche, when wounded by his own weapons he experiences the ordeal of love. Although other extended stories are not told about him, his tradition is rich in poetic themes and visual scenarios, such as "Love conquers all" and the retaliatory punishment or torture of Cupid. In art, Cupid often appears in multiples as the Amores, or amorini in the later terminology of art history, the equivalent of the Greek erotes. Cupids are a frequent motif of both Roman art and later Western art of the classical tradition. In the 15th century, the iconography of Cupid starts to become indistinguishable from the putto.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia
or Amor, the god of love, viewed as a chubby little boy, armed with bow and arrows, and often with eyes bandaged.
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A driver of sharp darts. CUPIDITY A driver of sharp deals.
Song lyrics by cupid -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by cupid on the Lyrics.com website.
(Cu′pid), the god of love, was the son of Jupiter and Venus. He is represented as a naked, winged boy, with a bow and arrows, and a torch. When he grew up to be a man he married Psyche.
“For Venus did but boast one only son, And rosy Cupid was that boasted one; He, uncontroll’d, thro’ heaven extends his sway, And gods and goddesses by turns obey.” (Eusden, 1713.)
The numerical value of Cupid in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of Cupid in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of Cupid in a Sentence
After nearly ten years of marriage, sometimes [ I ] need to shoot her again with [ cupid's ] arrow, just to remind her that we can still be in the honeymoon phase.
If Cupid misses the heart, he touches the body fatally. (Si Cupidon rate le cœur, Il touche mortellement le corps)
1. The most terrible thing in love is that it is not given to you in life to know who really is your second half. And even if you find it, then you cannot be sure that your love for all your eternity will love you, as it may simply abandon you because of some trifle. 2. Cupid is a cross-eyed sniper. 3. For many people, love with late ignition. 4. If you have a broken heart, then destiny is going to offer you something better. 5. Love is the blues of sincere feelings. Something that arouses in reality something paranormal, something supernatural. 6. It is love, not friendship, which is the exact opposite of loneliness. They do not understand that everything except love is meaningless, insignificant trifles. 7. In love there is no word I, there is only a word we. 8. Do not confuse love with porn. 9. The image of a loved one is the light in the midst of darkness. 10. When love dies it is as if a person has died, the spirit comes out of his body, this spirit is a memory, a boredom, a memory. It is a life of love after parting, as if life after death. This spirit wanders in your mind, soul, and heart. 11. Love is a beautiful feeling to tears. 13. The more you love a girl, the less you want to have sex with her. You just want to embrace the soul, love the heart and kiss her lips and cheeks. Because love is higher than sex. 14. Love is stronger than fear 15. Everyone is looking for the second half: superiority, someone is a match, and few are the opposite. 16. Sympathy is a bluff, it is almost always the case. Love is a constant feeling of love, an obsession that is only intensified by mutual love. The idea of a loved one does not let you go, she is constantly in your head, and sits there very tightly. 17. Love is two magnets (a man and a woman) that attract each other more and more. Whenever you move them away from each other, the farther you go, the more powerful they are attracted to each other by body and soul. This is the most powerful magnetic force between them, and there is love. 18. When hugging a girlfriend, you need not just hug, you must convey the warmth of love that comes from your soul. What would she feel from this warm sunlight coming from your soul is the merging of souls in love with a single whole. And at this moment maybe you will feel that she presses you to her a little stronger than you her. 19. True love is like two souls merging together, like galaxies facing for centuries. 20. Let the hole in the heart let in the light of true love. 21. True love and friendship, unselfish generosity and forgiveness - these are the main manifestations of higher philosophy. 22. 1. The cause of death of love in love relationships: misunderstanding and misunderstanding. 2. The cause of death of love in marriage: life, money, character. 23. Smart chooses his life partner with the help of: brain and penis. But wise with the help of: heart and soul. 24. Cupid has poisonous arrows. 25. Release all your volley, from your flamethrower of love, into that one and only. 26. Love your beloved powerfully. 27. Lovers of exotic looks, I'm talking about love between nations and races. Such people fall in love much more sincerely and love in bed very hot and passionate rather than representatives of their people. As for most of them, for representatives of your own people, you are something trivial and trivial. 28. Goodness and love are interdimensional, multidimensional spatial forms of philosophy, out of time, this state of harmony in eternity, the key to all worlds and the inner worlds of people both external and hidden. With this vision of thinking, you see everything at once, at the same time deeply and from a height, you see all forms of time as in one palm. 29. Get up now, and forgive the loved one you love so much. 30. Love is when you give up your own egoism and accept that person in your life and you realize that you are not alone in the whole universe. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich 1. Learn to love Parrots, dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, they are all excellent simulators of tenderness, they teach kindness and love. Practice, learn from them to be gentle and sweet, empathetic, caring, faithful, all this will help you in a relationship with the opposite sex. To your soulmate, as often as possible, give affection, kiss, hug, love with your heart and soul, and only then with the genitals. 2. Love is like chewing gum. First you see a bubble of gum, and touching your lips, it tightens to her lips, and molded into a delicious kiss. Its body turns into a chewing gum and you stick to it tightly and you become one, completely turned into chewing gum, chewing gum becomes your single flesh. The fresh aroma of gum as a symbol of unstoppable passion, over time, loses the sweet taste of lust. But the only thing that remains is that it has neither color nor taste - this is love - this is a combination at the level of two eternal souls blinded together. 3. Love is the peace and tenderness of the light of souls, the union of tenderness. From love you fall into a gap in space and time, love outside the dimension is a very special space for two lovers in ordinary reality. 4. Reality is a snowstorm, and you, like a real man, must all your life, warm your darling with your love and care. 5. True love is the cure for lust. And lust is the cure for true love. 6. Never forget what you love your loved one for. 7. All wear the same bodies in the next lives, and feel deja vu. The most romantic guy in the world will say to his beloved: I have won your heart in this life. In the next life, I will find you, and conquer it again. 8. Your loved one is your best thought in all your mind, throughout your whole life. 9. Love is so similar to sex pose 69. 10. Love is a warm, gentle light that gives peace to the soul of a loved one, this divine light of disinterested nobility in the darkness of egoism, this light is priceless. 11. Slippery macho inside you, takes away your true love. 12. Love is a giant star in your own cosmos. Which is located in the center of the universe, which is filled, it is surrounded by everyday garbage, various trifles. 13. Two lovers are two galaxies merged together, merged into the ages. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
Sure there is music even in the beauty, and the silent note which Cupid strikes, far sweeter than the sound of an instrument. For there is music wherever there is harmony, order and proportion; and thus far we may maintain the music of the spheres; for those well ordered motions, and regular paces, though they give no sound unto the ear, yet to the understanding they strike a note most full of harmony.
1. Cupid is a squint sniper 2. Imagination is diving into the bottomless depths of madness. 3. A person is not a person, but only another figure. Look at your prison number. These are not numbers on the shirt, but your name. 4. Sleep is a unique museum of our past, present, and future. In which there is a library that stores unique knowledge. 5. Civilization is when a wild wolf becomes an obedient dog of the system. 6. A person does not want to please people, he wants to tease them. 7. Laziness is an adverse reaction to the artificial system of society. 8. Many people have a love with late ignition. 9. Conclusions - these are human tests, that is, blood, urine and feces. They give out a piece of paper that shows which psychological diseases you are sick with. 10. The corpse of truth, is located somewhere at the bottom of the ocean. 11. Because of slang, jargon and swear words. Words will turn into sounds and letters. 12. No matter how much you read, it is important how much you understand. 13. The enemy rules you with your anger. 14. The gloom of loneliness will give either holiness or madness. 15. Love is the blues of sincere feelings. Awakening in reality something paranormal, something supernatural. 16. Madness is when garbage recycling in the head breaks down. 17. Never confuse truth with opinion. 18. Everyone is drunk by his own madness. 19. If people are directed at you: resentment, envy, causticity, sarcasm, anger, aggression, hatred, revenge, rage - know that all this is the sympathy of people, this does not mean that you are a bad person, just very attractive personality. 20. A love couple who is able to constantly forgive each other is doomed to become the happiest couple in the world. 21. Never listen, and never react to someone who does not know and does not understand you. 22. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Cupid
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- صورة كيوبيدArabic
- dewa asmaraIndonesian
- aşk tanrısıTurkish
- thần tình yêuVietnamese
Get even more translations for Cupid »
Find a translation for the Cupid definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)